Former Fine Arts Director
Larry Tucker Voted Into
Texas Bandmasters Hall of Fame
February 26, 2010
Larry Tucker, retired director of bands and executive director of fine arts and special academic services for Plano schools, was recently voted into the Texas Bandmasters Hall of Fame at the Texas Music Educators Association convention in San Antonio.
The official induction will be held at the Texas Bandmasters convention in San Antonio on July 27. Approximately 6,500 people will attend the convention, including an estimated 2,400 band directors from around the world.
From 1981 through 2007, Larry served Plano schools as director of bands and department chair at Plano East Senior High School and later as executive director of special academic services at the district office. Larry built the Plano East program from 18 members the first year to over 140 by the end of the eighth year.
Plano East bands, under Larry's direction, were Invited to performances at the 1984 Republican National Convention, 1984 Four States Bandmasters Convention,1988 College Band Directors Southwestern Regional Convention and 1989 Louisiana Tech Conductors Conference. His bands consistently earned UIL sweepstakes awards and first place at national contests in St. Louis, Missouri, Tennessee and Florida.
Later, Larry executive directed academic services, in which he was responsible for administering programs including special education, multilingual education, JROTC, federal programs, gifted and talented, elementary PE, health, drill team, cheerleading, and fine arts. He supervised a staff of three directors and nine coordinators and administered a budget of more than $2.5 million annually. Student groups from all areas were recognized state-wide and nationally many times, under Larry's executive direction.
About Larry Tucker
National & State Organizations & Offices Held
- Arkansas School Band and Orchestra Association
- Numerous region and state offices, 1975 to 1981
- Four States Bandmasters Association
- Arkansas and Texas Chairman
- President 1977-78
- Phi Beta Mu International Bandmasters Fraternity
- Numerous national committees, including chairman of the Bandmaster of the Year committee
- Secretary, Arkansas Chapter, 1980-81
- Member of Board, Texas Chapter, since 1990
- President, Texas Chapter, 1998-2000
- Texas Music Administrators Conference
- City of Plano Cultural Affairs Commission 2000-2004
- Plano West Rotary Club
- National Band Association
- American School Band Directors Association
Honors & Awards
- Paul Harris Fellow
- Ross Perot “Excellence in Teaching Award”
- Teacher of the Year, Plano East, 1989
- National Band Association “Citation of Excellence” 1988
- Plano West “Rotarian of the Year” 2003-2004 & 2006-2007
- Texas Music Administrator of the Year 2006-2007
Other Experiences in Music Education
- Texas Music Adjudicators Association judge across Texas
- Judge for state music contests in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Oregon
- Member of the adjudicator staff for Directors Choice and other national Contests
- Guest conductor for numerous All-Region bands and Texas Private Schools All-State Band
- Presenter at numerous state conferences
- Adjudicator for major marching band contests in New Mexico, Oklahoma And Tennessee
- 1968-1975 - Henderson State University, Arkadelphia, AR
- Bachelor of Music Education 1973
- Master of Music Education 1975
- Additional study and certification from the University of Arkansas and University of North Texas
Larry enjoys golfing, woodworking and motorcycling in retirement.