Stay Connected with Learning at Home
Stay connected with our many digital tools to support learning! Learning from any location is easy when using PISD Webdesk and MyBackpack! Please visit RESOURCES FOR LEARNING OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM for apps and other tools.
Know Your Username and Password
All PISD students have been issued a username and password to access an array of digital tools and content. If students have forgotten their passwords or are otherwise experiencing problems trying to login, please contact Plano ISD's Technology Help Desk for assistance:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Please provide a call back phone number in your email.
The student email address is their email@example.com (firstname.lastname@example.org). Example: email@example.com. If on a Chromebook, they'll be signed into Chrome with their email address automatically. If on a desktop/laptop computer, they may be prompted to enter their email address. See below for signing into Chrome. All students have email addresses, but only students in grades 6-12 are able to send and receive messages.
The recommended browser is Google Chrome. Students should sign in to Chrome to streamline the online learning process. Plano ISD devices already have Google Chrome installed however, it may need to be installed on personal devices/computers.
Why use Chrome?
- The Chrome browser is a Google product, so the Google Drive components connect automatically and naturally work better in Chrome.
- When you log in to the Chrome browser, Chrome syncs across all your devices. You always have your preferred settings, saved features, and browsing history - wherever you log in.
- Sites with the "Sign in with Google" button will pull your Chrome log in credentials making the sign in process even easier.
PISD Webdesk and MyBackpack
After signing in to Chrome, navigate to webdesk.pisd.edu which is PISD's portal for digital learning resources. All students have an app in Webdesk called MyBackpack which provides easy access to course resources. It is a lightweight alternative to carrying textbooks around all day! And it's helpful to have the necessary resources in one location.
- Sign In to Webdesk - PDF document with steps for signing in | YouTube Video demonstrating the steps for signing in
- Webdesk App for Phones/Tablets - Webdesk is available via app, too! It's free for iOS or Android. Please search for Plano ISD after installing the app. Choose to sign in with ADFS then enter the student's PISD Username and Password.
- MyBackpack - All course-related resources are stored in one spot! Look for the MyBackpack tile in Webdesk.
- Teacher Console - Teachers, you can easily "push" apps to your students' MyBackpack - Teacher Console.
- Accessing H: Drive - Files stored on the PISD Network, such as the H: Drive, can be accessed via Webdesk.
- Webdesk Resources - A collection of YouTube videos to demonstrating ways to use Webdesk | The PISD Webdesk resource page
Online Textbooks, Websites, Apps, and More
PISD has many digital resources for staff and students. These resources are always available at school or at home. Some of the most commonly used resources are course textbooks, Google Classroom, Dreambox, Nearpod, and many more!
Internet Providers Offering Free Wi-Fi
If you are experiencing access issues with online textbooks or other tools, please review the troubleshooting steps below.
Password Not Working
If students have forgotten their passwords or are otherwise experiencing problems trying to login, please contact Plano ISD's Technology Help Desk for assistance:
- If you are certain the username and password are correct, try verifying your password in Webdesk. (Scroll down to the section called Login Problems.) This quick, easy step will update all apps that use the PISD username and password.
Cannot Access Online Textbooks or Apps in Webdesk Not Working
- Verifying your password in Webdesk will update all apps that use the PISD username and password.
- How-to video demonstrating how to verify your Webdesk password. (Please note this YouTube video has NO sound.)
- Webdesk has many apps available for installation. PISD has created our own apps (usually with PISD in the title) to make access even easier for user. Please make sure you are using a PISD app. The easiest way to do this is by accessing apps via MyBackpack.
- If using a personal device, please make sure the user is signed in to Google Chrome.
- If prompted, please make sure to install the Webdesk Extension.
- Restart your Chromebook so that it runs updates
- Clear your cache:
- Click on the three vertical dots on the top right of the browser toolbar to open the Chrome menu
- Click on More tools
- Clear Browsing Data
- Check the boxes next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files"
- Click on Clear browsing data. The Chromebook cache and cookies and now deleted.
- Savvas (formerly known as Pearson) Issues
- "Pearson App Not Configured" - Classroom teachers configure the resources for Pearson. Please contact the classroom teacher for access to these resources.
- eText not loading properly - If you open the eText and it takes you to another log in screen and doesn't automatically login, please check that 1) You're signed into Chrome (see instructions above) 2) You have the OneClick ClassLink Chrome extension installed.