Stay Connected with a PISD Chromebook
Using Webdesk and MyBackpack on a PISD Chromebook will keep you connected to the many digital tools to support learning!
Know Your Username and Password
All PISD students have been issued a username and password to access an array of digital tools as well as Chromebooks. Please visit the PISD Chromebook Academy for a Quick Start Guide to signing in on a PISD Chromebook.
If students have forgotten their passwords or are otherwise experiencing problems trying to sign in on a PISD Chromebook, please contact Plano ISD's Technology Help Desk for assistance:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Please provide a call back phone number in your email.
PISD Webdesk and MyBackpack
After signing in on a PISD Chromebook, Webdesk will launch automatically. However, if it does not or if the tab is closed, please go online on the Chromebook and navigate to: webdesk.pisd.edu which is PISD's portal for digital learning resources. All students have an app in Webdesk called MyBackpack which provides easy access to course resources. It is a lightweight alternative to carrying textbooks around all day! And it's helpful to have the necessary resources in one location.
- Sign In to Webdesk - PDF document with steps for signing in | YouTube Video demonstrating the steps for signing in
- MyBackpack - All course-related resources are stored in one spot! Look for the MyBackpack tile in Webdesk.
- Teacher Console - Teachers can easily "push" apps to students' MyBackpack with Teacher Console.
- Accessing H: Drive - Files stored on the PISD Network, such as the H: Drive, can be accessed via Webdesk.
- Webdesk Resources - A collection of YouTube videos demonstrating ways to use Webdesk | The PISD Webdesk resource page
Online Textbooks, Websites, Apps, and More
PISD has many digital resources for staff and students. Some of the most commonly used resources are course textbooks, Google Classroom, Dreambox, Nearpod, and many more! These helpful classroom tools are accessible on a PISD Chromebook via Webdesk.
If you are experiencing access issues with online textbooks or other tools, please review the troubleshooting steps below.
Password Not Working
If students have forgotten their passwords or are otherwise experiencing problems trying to login, please contact Plano ISD's Technology Help Desk for assistance:
- If you are certain the username and password are correct, try verifying your password in Webdesk. (Find the section called Login Problems.) This quick, easy step will update all apps that use the PISD username and password. .
Cannot Access Online Textbooks or Apps in Webdesk Not Working
- Verifying your password in Webdesk will update all apps that use the PISD username and password.
- How-to video demonstrating how to Verify your Webdesk password.
- Connect your Google Account in Webdesk to streamline Google logins.
- Webdesk has many apps available for installation. PISD has created our own apps (usually with PISD in the title) to make access even easier for user. Please make sure you are using a PISD app. The easiest way to do this is by accessing apps via MyBackpack.
- Check for Chrome updates - watch video here
- Click on the time on the bottom right of your screen.
- Select the Settings gear.
- Scroll down to see About Chrome OS on the left.
- Click CHECK FOR UPDATES
- Restart the Chromebook
- Restart your Chromebook so that it runs updates
- Clear your cache:
- Click on the three vertical dots on the top right of the browser toolbar to open the Chrome menu
- Click on More tools
- Clear Browsing Data
- Check the boxes next to "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files"
- Click on Clear browsing data. The Chromebook cache and cookies and now deleted.
- Remove any unnecessary Chrome extensions
- Right-click the extension and select "Remove from Chrome"
- Or follow the directions on pisd.edu/chrome for more details