• Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I keep my child from using illegal substances?

    Posted by:
    • Research shows that students who are highly involved with the family, community, and/or school activities are less likely to use illegal substances.
    • It is important for parents to know their student’s friends and the parents of those friends. Communication with the friends and families is very important.
    • Know the location of your child.
    Comments (-1)
  • What are the most commonly abused substances among teens?

    Posted by:
    • Alcohol: Most students get alcohol from the home. Alcoholic beverages should be kept in a safe place where your child and/or their friends do not have easy access.
    • Prescription Medications: Most teens get prescription medications from home as well. Medications, both over the counter and prescription, should be kept in a safe place where your child and/or their friends do not have easy access.
    • Marijuana: The best advice we have in this area is, again, know and communicate with their friends and the parents of their friends.
    Comments (-1)
  • What are possible signs and symptoms of alcohol and/or drug use?

    Posted by:

    (These signs may be indicative of other illnesses/concerns.)

    Physical Symptoms:

    • Strong or unusual odor
    • Strong scent attempting to cover an odor
    • Red or watery eyes
    • Staggering, clumsiness
    • Falling asleep in class
    • Lack of affect (appears spaced out or zoned out)
    • Chronic or hacking cough
    • Slurred speech
    • Change in appearance (i.e. significant weight gain or loss)
    • Paranoid
    • Forgetful, slowed reaction time, loses train of thought
    • Unexplained lethargy and/or hyperactivity and agitation

    Behavioral Symptoms

    • Changes in attendance/increased tardies/absences
    • Drop in grades
    • Drop in performance
    • Resentment of authority, hostility towards staff members
    • Changes in personality (mood and attitude)
    • Legal problems (MIP, theft, vandalism)
    • Known drug problems in friends
    • Rage or aggression
    • Reduced motivation and interest in activities
    • Any references to drugs/alcohol in assignments or projects
    Comments (-1)
  • What should I do if I suspect that my child is using illegal substances?

    Posted by:

    Talk with your child. Let them know how much you love and care for them, but let them know you’re concerned about their health and safety. Tell them you suspect drug or alcohol use and ask them what they are using. If you feel that your child is in denial, follow your ‘gut’ feeling. You may choose to do a drug test. Most local pharmacies carry drug test kits. Contact your substance abuse prevention specialist at your child’s campus for available resources. Please keep in mind that this information will remain confidential.

    Comments (-1)
  • How do I get help?

    Posted by:

    Contact your substance abuse prevention specialist or school counselor. You may also choose to consult a health care professional.

    Comments (-1)
  • What if my child has to take prescription medication at school?

    Posted by:

    All medications MUST be provided to the school nurse with appropriate medical information forms completed by the parent in order for the nurse to dispense the medication to the student. Please refer to the following information from School Health Services.


    For exceptions that may entitle the student to carry and self-administer medications please refer to the following information.


    Comments (-1)
  • What should I do with prescription medications that are outdated or I do not need to use anymore?

    Posted by:
    • Collin County participates in the National Take - Back Program, which allows the public to bring unused prescription medications to a central location for proper disposal.
    • You may also contact your local pharmacist for details on proper disposal of prescription medications.
    Comments (-1)