Degrees and Certifications:
Carlos Rios – Counselor (M-Z)
I was born and raised in Wichita Falls, TX. After graduating from high school in 2008, I went to Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine on a full-ride scholarship. Being in Maine allowed me to make a lot of friends from all over the country and outside of the United States. From there, I returned to Wichita Falls, and worked as a college advisor for 4 years, taught Spanish I for 5 years, and was an academic guidance counselor for one year. I finished my master's degree program in Clinical Mental Health and School Counseling with Midwestern State University last year. I am very excited to be your counselor at Academy, and am passionate about helping our learners reach their academic and personal goals.
5 things about me:
- Spanish is my 2nd language. While I started to learn it at a young age from my grandma, my family focused on teaching English. As a result, a lot of my knowledge came from Spanish classes and my study abroad experience in Merida, Mexico.
- I am the oldest of 4 siblings---2 sisters and a brother.
- Mental health and taking care of myself (self-care) are important to me. Spending time with my family and walking alone are 2 ways I like to take care of myself.
- I love going on vacations--preferably to a beach. Not only is it relaxing to swim in the ocean, but I find my peace when I sit at the beach and look out at the water.
- I am the first person in my family to go to college.