About Our School
Plano West Senior High School is in its 20th year of existence and is well established in the tradition of excellence in Plano ISD. Each graduating class has distinguished itself with numerous awards in the academic, athletic, and fine arts arenas. This past year more than 20 million dollars in college scholarships were offered to our students. Plano West students are accepted to the top colleges and universities throughout the United States and abroad. Seventy percent of the staff members at Plano West hold advanced degrees in education. Our staff continually enhances the educational experience for each of our students. The academic performance of students at Plano West earned the school the distinction of being named to the 2009 Texas Business and Education Coalition Honor Roll, the most prestigious academic award a Texas Public School can achieve. Plano West also has the distinction of being listed in the top 1% of Newsweek's Best High Schools in the nation for the past five years, in addition to being ranked #63 in the Washington Post's High School Challenge, #45 in the state of Texas by US News, and a 2011 NCEA Higher Performing School.
Mission and Vision
"Leading with Pride"
"The mission of Plano West Senior High School is to prepare students to strive for excellence and contribute with compassion and integrity to a diverse society."
- education is a dynamic, not a static process which prepares students to be life-long learners.
- success in education is based on a cooperative effort among students, staff, parents, and community.
- all students can achieve success.
- students need critical thinking skills to be successful in today’s changing global environment.
- knowledge provides an awareness of our multi-cultural society and contributes to an appreciation of human worth and dignity.
- the strength of the instructional program provides each student with an opportunity to excel academically as well as intellectually.
- strong morals, values, and character provide the foundation for productive citizens.
- that a safe, caring, and nurturing environment is essential to the learning process.
- excellence is the standard in instruction and leadership.
- everyone has an obligation to contribute to the school.
Grade Divisions and Grade Points
|Letter Grade||Numerical Grade||AP/IB Course||Honors Course||Regular Course||Modified|
|A+||97 & above||5.0||4.5||4.0||3.5|
|A||93 - 96||4.8||4.3||3.8||3.3|
|A-||90 - 92||4.6||4.1||3. 6||3.1|
|B+||87 - 89||4.4||3.9||3.4||2.9|
|B||83 - 86||4.2||3.7||3.2||2.7|
|B-||80 - 82||4.0||3. 5||3.0||2.5|
|C+||77 - 79||3.8||3.3||2.8||2.3|
|C||71 - 76||3.6||3.1||2.6||2.1|
Rank in Class
Class rank is based on cumulative semester averages from grades 9 - 12 with the exception of student aide and Academic Decathlon courses. Honors courses are weighted with extra grade points awarded for each grade. Final rank in class and grade point average are determined at the end of the third nine weeks grading period of the senior year.
To see a complete listing of all courses offered at Plano West Senior High, please view HERE