Goals of the student dress code:
- Maintain a safe learning environment in classes where protective or supportive clothing is needed.
- Clothing, hairstyles and accessories must meet reasonable, school-appropriate standards that support a safe school environment.
- Prevent students from wearing clothing with offensive images or language that is vulgar, offensive, lewd, indecent; or images or language that contain fighting words, incites criminal activity, contains extortion or threats, includes hate speech, or promotes illegal use of drugs or alcohol.
- Ensure that all students are treated fairly regardless of gender identification, sex/sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, body type/size, religion, and personal style.
Student dress and grooming are expected to be in keeping with accepted community standards. The District also prohibits any clothing or grooming that the principal may reasonably believe will materially and substantially interfere with the operation of the school or cause a material or substantial disruption.
Plano ISD’s dress code guidelines are as follows:
- All students are expected to meet community standards and school policies with regard to health, cleanliness and appearance. All safety rules must be obeyed.
- Any form of dress or grooming that attracts undue attention, disrupts school, is considered gang related, or detracts from the learning process is not acceptable.
- Tattoos that are gang-related, offensive, and/or distract from or interfere with the learning environment of the school must be covered at all times.
- Gang paraphernalia and bandanas are not permitted.
- Clothing should be worn for the purpose for which it was designed.
- Sleepwear is not to be worn at school.
- Shorts, including athletic shorts, must extend beyond the buttocks.
- Excessively loose or tight garments are not acceptable. All clothing should be appropriately fitted.
- Leggings/yoga pants may be worn as pants if the buttocks area is covered with a shirt or worn underneath a dress, skirt, or shorts.
- Sagging pants or shorts are not allowed. Jeans, slacks, shorts and all other pants must be worn at or about the natural waist at all times. Even if a shirt is extremely long, the pants must be worn at the waist. Undergarments should not be visible at any time.
- Dresses, skirts, skorts, shirts, shorts and pants (including shorts and pants with rips and holes) must cover all under garments at all times whether in standing, reaching, stooping or sitting position. Chest, midriff and buttocks should be covered at all times with material that is not see-through.
- Underwear-type sleeveless shirts, spaghetti straps, tank tops and jerseys with large arm holes, beachwear, swimwear, halter tops, and tube tops are not appropriate or acceptable.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. House shoes or slippers are not appropriate.
- Sunglasses, caps, hats, raised hoods, and any other covering that can conceal the face from clear view are not permitted to be worn in the building.
Students in violation of the student dress and grooming code will be expected to change to appropriate attire (provided by the school or parent) or may be subject to other appropriate discipline when violations occur.