Degrees and Certifications:
B.S. Early Childhood Ed. M.Ed. Counseling
Mrs. Lauren Velis
The mission of the PISD Elementary Counseling Program is to provide guidance through a team approach, so that students develop emotionally, socially, and academically, in order to become responsible members of society.
The guidance and counseling program is an essential part of the overall school experience. My hope is that every school year is filled with possibilities and accomplishments for all students. It is a privilege and joy to work with the community, students, parents and staff here at Wyatt!
The purposes of individual counseling, group counseling, and classroom guidance are:
- Help students better understand themselves and others.
- Build self-confidence.
- Encourage students to recognize and make the best use of their abilities.
- Provide opportunities for students to feel successful.
- Talk with students about educational, personal, and social concerns.
- Help students adjust to school and home environments.
- Develop an awareness of the world of work.
- Teach students the decision-making process.
- Foster a caring, safe environment for children
I see each class every other week for classroom guidance lessons. These lessons range from 30-45 minutes, depending on grade. During these classroom guidance lessons, I focus on understanding our feelings, how to recognize and regulate our emotions, conflict resolution, communication, friendship skills, personal safety, decision making, diversity and acceptance and career guidance.
I know it's going to be a wonderful year!