Degrees and Certifications:
Mr. Clay Wheeler
Hey, Panthers! I've been teaching professionally in the district for eight years and I've loved every minute of it! I'm the theatre, speech and PAL teacher at SMS. Recently, I had the honor of being named 2016-17 Schimelpfenig Teacher of the Year! I'm also a member of the Faculty Advisory Council, a Domain III Player Coach for the Professional Learning Department and the Lead Teacher for Middle School Speech in PISD.
I'm involved in organizations that make an impact on speech and theatre education in Texas, serving in a leadership capacity with the Texas Speech Communicators Association and as a frequent panelist for the Theatre Educators of Texas Association's annual conference.
Additionally, I sponsor and coach several activities open to all SMS students, including: Theatre Productions (6-8 Grade), Speech and Debate Team (6-8 Grade), Peer Assistance & Leadership (8th Only). Check out the links on my page to learn more about these activities and how you can become involved!
In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my wife, my daughter, Winnie, and my dog, Ginny. I was once an Elvis impersonator and have won Back-to-Back-to-Back Awards at the 2016, 2017 & 2018 SMS Chili Cookoffs.
Recent Awards and Accolades Include:
- 2018 PISD MS Speech and Debate Bowman Tournament, 1st Place
- 2018 PISD MS Speech and Debate City Champs, 1st Place
- 2018 PISD MS One-Act Play Competition, 2nd Place
- 2018 CCBA Mock Trial Competition, Semifinalist
- 2017 PISD MS One-Act Play Competition, 1st Place
- 2017 CCBA Mock Trial Competition, 3rd Place
- 2017 PISD MS Speech and Debate City Champs, 3rd Place
- 2016 PISD MS Speech and Debate City Champs, 2nd Place
- 2016 PISD MS One-Act Play Competition, 3rd Place
- 2015 PISD MS Speech and Debate City Champs, 3rd Place
1st Period: Theatre I
2nd Period: Speech III (Debate)
3rd Period: Theatre III (Advanced Theatre)
4th Period: PAL
5th Period: Conference
6th Period: Speech I
7th Period: Theatre I