Aldridge Elementary School
Assistant Principal: Michelle Meeks
Counselor: Cynthia McElroy
School Hours: 7:45 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
School Colors: Red, white and blue
Motto: Enter to learn, leave to succeed.
Year Opened: 1968
Phone: (469) 752-0000
Fax: (469) 752-0001
720 Pleasant Valley Lane
Richardson, TX 75080
Aldridge has served the community for over 40 years and received a complete renovation in 2007-08. Academic ratings for Aldridge have included: Texas Successful School award recipient for high performance; Exemplary Campus; Recognized Campus; and TEA Gold Performance acknowledgement. Other achievements include: D Magazine Top 250 schools; Governor's Excellence award; District Teacher of the Year recipient; Superintendent's Service award winner; many PTA life memberships; and student Science Fair Regional, Poetry, Reflections, and Fire poster winners.
English as a Second Language (ESL); inclusive special education; portfolio assessment (kindergarten - second grade); safety patrol; student council; choir; Plano Academic Creative Education (PACE) for identified gifted and talented students; Collin County Adventure camp (fifth grade); science fair; field day; broadcast/tech crew; history fair; Spelling Bee; academic tutor/mentor program; PASAR after-school childcare; fine arts field trips/programs, and PTA sponsored after-school enrichment programs.
Parent Involvement Opportunities
Award winning Parent/Teacher Association (PTA); School-Based Improvement Committee (SBIC); family nights; yearbook; Collin County Adventure camp volunteers (fifth grade), PTA Reflections Art contest; PTA book fair; campus beautification; library and class volunteers; Dad's Den; field day; science fair and history fair judges; Key Communicators; field trips; student directory; ELMS group (English Language Made Simple); PTA; fundraisers, hospitality committee, literacy library, ways and means, youth safety, multicultural events and tutor/mentor program.
Canyon Creek Homeowner's Association; Target; Tom Thumb; General Mills BoxTops Grant contributes: funds, meeting rooms, incentives, mentors, or special instructors in support of our educational programs.
History of Aldridge
Mr. William Penn Aldridge was born in Plano, Texas, on January 31, 1870. He was one of nine children of James Kennon and Mariah Lively Aldridge. James Kennon was born in Tennessee and came to north Texas in 1858, lured by the promise of a better climate for farming and fertile black soil. He married Kentucky-born Mariah Lively in Plano shortly after his arrival and began farming south of town. James Kennon and neighbors Jacob Routh and R.W. Campbell were the main contributors to the building of a school on the Campbell farm. James Kennon served in the Civil War as a Captain, returning home to his family farm after the war. W.P. Aldridge joined his family in farming and married Alice Cochran, daughter of early Dallas settlers. They had one son, Charles, who was born in 1897. Mr. Aldridge raised cotton, grain crops and livestock on his farm which was located where Aldridge Elementary School now stands.
The Aldridge family members were very active and involved in the community and were deeply committed to education. W.P.’s success as a farmer enabled him to spend time in community affairs. He was on the board of directors of the First Guaranty State Bank of Plano when it was chartered in 1910.
He was elected to the Plano Board of Education and served faithfully for 25 years from 1921-45. He was president of the Board for 16 years. William Penn Aldridge died on October 13, 1946, and is buried in Plano Mutual Cemetery.
Aldridge Elementary School opened November 25, 1968. We are honored to be named for a man who gave such long and dedicated service to the Plano Schools.