Acceleration and Credit by Exam
Welcome to the Credit by Examination testing process. Credit by Exam provides a way for students to receive credit and advance. Students must be registered in a Plano ISD school and attending, if school is in session, in order to be eligible to test.
Students in Kindergarten through 8th grade may test to move ahead one grade level. High school students may earn credit in a course that they have not taken or under certain circumstances may earn credit for a course which they took but for which they did not receive credit. We invite you to visit the links below for more specific information on dates, courses and testing.
This website is updated periodically as new information is available. Refer back periodically for changes to the calendar and course requirements. To register for testing, the student needs to obtain testing application(s) from his/her school counselor. For general questions about Credit by Exam, please contact the Credit by Exam Office.
For specific information about acceleration and Credit by Exam, please select the grade level link to the right that applies to your student.
Credit by Exam Frequently Asked Questions
1. When can a student test for CBE?
Students in grades 1-12 may take CBE exams four times per year. Testing administrations are listed on the website and are separated by grade level. Kindergarten students may take CBE exams two times per year. *See counselor to determine which administration the student is eligible.
2. Can a student take the CBE exam more than once?
Yes. Students may only attempt acceleration two times for the same course/grade level.
3. What determines whether a student has prior instruction for a CBE exam?
*Only the students’ guidance counselor will make prior instruction determinations.*
To participate in the Credit by Exam with prior instruction, the student must have been enrolled in a formal course as evidenced by:
- A transcript from an accredited or non-accredited institution or
- Other documentation that establishes evidence of a formal course
- A syllabus listing daily assignments
- An explanation of the time parameters of the course
- Documentation of the student’s performance throughout the course
- Documentation of alignments to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills
4. Do CBE exam grades get recorded on the transcript?
If a student passes the CBE exam and is awarded credit, the score will be reported on the transcript. Scores will not be recorded on the transcript if a student does not pass the CBE exam and is not awarded credit.
5. Do CBE exams get included in the students’ GPA?
6. Is there a CBE exam for EOC courses?
At this time we do not offer CBE for the five EOC courses: Algebra I, English I, English II, Biology and U.S. History.
7. If a student takes the CBE mid-year when can he/she be placed in the next course/grade level?
Placement in a new course/grade level will only occur at the start of a school year (or semester for semester courses) regardless of when a CBE for acceleration is taken.
8. Will students be notified prior to testing?
Yes. Students will receive a confirmation letter (via US mail) two-three weeks prior to testing with exam information.
9. When will CBE results be available?
Students will receive CBE score reports (via US mail) approximately three-five weeks after testing. Each campus will receive the score reports (via email) sent to the Lead Counselor and Registrar.
Contact Credit by Exam For additional information, please call Brandi Dahlquist at (469) 752-8703.