- Plano Independent School District
- Plano ISD Headlines
Response Regarding Face Mask Mandate Requests
August 12, 2021
We have heard from many parents requesting that Plano ISD follow Dallas County, who have imposed a mask requirement, in spite of the Governor’s Order. Plano ISD’s Board of Trustees sent the Governor a letter requesting the ability to manage the District’s mask policies through local control. The Board has not received a response to the letter. This is a very complex situation, and as such, there are a few facts that you should be aware of:
- The Governor’s order prohibiting the District from mandating masks has the force and effect of law.
- Collin County Judge Chris Hill issued a statement on August 11, 2021, that he will not issue a face mask order for Collin County.
- The decision issued for Dallas County does not apply to Plano ISD schools within the City of Dallas; Plano ISD schools are all in Collin County and not subject to a Dallas County Order.
- Without an order similar to the Dallas County order, Plano ISD must comply with the Governor’s orders.
- On August 11, 2021, the Governor publicly stated that any school district that decides to defy GA-38, which prohibits the District from mandating masks, will be taken to court.
The Board firmly supports the recommendations of the Texas Department of State Health Services and CDC to use face coverings to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. We strongly encourage and recommend all members of our Plano ISD community to use face coverings. However, due to the constantly changing landscape regarding this issue from the Governor, the county and the courts, the Board intends to comply with the law. Currently, the District’s legal counsel is closely monitoring the implications of what is happening in Dallas County and across the state in order to advise the District in this rapidly evolving situation.
Additionally, the District will continue to utilize other COVID-19 mitigation measures in its efforts to safely serve the District’s students. Therefore we expect all staff and families to follow PISD’s adopted health and safety protocols to ensure we are keeping each other as safe as possible. Protocols can be reviewed in the 2021-22 Return to School available at www.pisd.edu/returnplan.
Questions or comments regarding the Governor’s order and/or Judge Hill’s statement should be forwarded to: