- Plano Independent School District
May 9, 2019 - Texas History Day Winners
Students from Otto Middle School, Rice Middle School and Plano East Senior High School participated in the Texas State History Day Contest in Austin on Saturday, April 27. Students who earned first place awards will advance to the National History Day Contest at the University of Maryland in College Park June 9-13.
First place award winners advancing to national competition:
- First place Junior Group Documentary: Vinod Venkataraman and Vivek Venkataraman, Rice Middle School, The World Will Not Be the Same: The Triumphs and Tragedies of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki Bombings
- First place Senior Individual Documentary: Anjali Gonuguntla, Plano East Senior High School, Operation Paperclip
- First place Senior Individual Performance: Natasha Raman from Plano East Senior High School, Radium Girls: Triumph in the Place of Tragedy
Other award recipients include:
- Third place Junior Individual Documentary: Shriya Bhat, Otto Middle School, A Fatal Wonderdrug: The Thalidomide Tragedy and its Triumph on America’s Drug Regulations
- Third place Junior Individual Performance: Madhalasa Iyer, Rice Middle School, The Triumph of Freedom that Led to the Tragedy of Division and the Greatest Human Migration
- Third place Group Exhibit: Vennela Challagondla, Halle Miller and Alex Lin, Plano East Senior High School, The Great Smog of London
- Fourth place Senior Group Documentary: Praneeth Boddu, Saisrinivas Gudivada, Aryan Jain and Cedric Zhou, Plano East Senior High School, The Promised Land
The theme for this year’s National History Day is Triumph and Tragedy in History. Students compete in the contest by selecting a topic related to the theme, conducting research using primary and secondary sources, and analyzing their findings. Students present their work in papers, exhibits, websites, performances, or documentaries. More information can be found on the National History Day website, www.nhd.org and the Texas State Historical Association website, www.tshaonline.org
Top left photo: Rice Middle School students Vinod Venkataraman and Vivek Venkataraman and Madhalasa Iyer. Bottom left: Shriya Bhat, Otto Middle School and right photo: Anjali Gonuguntla and Natasha Raman, Plano East Senior High with Dr. Joseph Russell (center) Plano East history teacher.