- Plano Independent School District
3rd 9-Week Changes to Instructional Environment
November 16, 2020
Families now have an opportunity to make a change to their child’s learning environment for the third 9-week period. As we have worked with Collin College, our higher education partner for dual credit, it became necessary to adjust the timing of the selection process in order for both organizations to have the information needed for staffing and scheduling second semester. For that reason the following slight adjustment is being made to the selection window:
Revised selection window: November 17-November 30
(Originally scheduled selection window: November 30-December 4)
The new window for selection is November 17-November 30 for all levels (elementary and secondary students). Students will be scheduled in the selected instructional environment, which will go into effect on January 5, 2021. If no changes are made in Parent Portal, then the current instructional environment will remain in effect until the fourth 9-week selection period opens.
Changes to Instructional Environment Selection
Plano ISD understands that families may want to change their instructional environment based on the evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Changes may be made beginning November 17. Instructional environment selections will be valid through the end of the school year unless you make a change at the end of the third 9-week cycle in February.
These changes will become effective on the first day of the third 9-week grading period through the end of the grading cycle. To view the environment selection for the current 9 weeks by campus, visit www.pisd.edu/school@home_selection.
Note: The Texas Education Agency (TEA) has issued guidance that allows school districts to discontinue remote instruction to individual students struggling with grades or attendance. (read more)
Parents Who Do NOT Want to Make a Change of Environment – NO ACTION REQUIRED
Process for Changing Instructional Environment Selection
- All primary guardians will receive a notification prior to the change selection period.
Changes may be made in the Parent Portal.
- Instructions on how to complete the process are located in the Parent Portal.
- Any changes made in the Parent Portal will go into effect on the dates listed below.
NEW - Instructional Environment Change Selection Periods
Third 9-weeks opportunity to revise instructional environment:
November 17- 30, 2020
Effective on January 5, 2021
Fourth 9-weeks opportunity to revise instructional environment:
February 15-19, 2021
Effective on March 15, 2021
- Elementary students changing their environment may be assigned to a new teacher. Change in environment will almost always result in a teacher change.
- Secondary students making changes to their learning environment selection are not guaranteed to be assigned to their same teacher or class schedule based upon availability. Some staff may need to shift to align with new learning environment choices. Therefore, even students who do not change learning environments could experience a change to their teacher(s), course availability or class schedule.
Please Note: The Texas Education Agency has issued guidance that allows school districts to stop offering virtual instruction to individual students with poor grades or attendance. Campuses will notify parents if a student’s attendance and/or academic performance in one or more classes puts them at significant risk of severe learning loss in the PISD School@Home or the hybrid schedule remote days.
A student’s lack of engagement and poor academic performance could result in revoked access to the remote learning environment or Plano ISD School@Home. In which case, the student may be required to return to the face-to-face learning environment (or hybrid 4 days a week). Campuses will notify and collaborate with parents regarding learning environment changes if their student is not demonstrating academic success.