- Plano Independent School District
- Board Video Archives
November 6, 2018
Watch Video: November 6, 2018 (Length: 1:58:12)
The Plano ISD Board of Trustees met on Tuesday, November 6, 2018, at the Plano ISD Administration Center.
- School Board Trustee Jeri Chambers provided an inspirational message.
- Board President Missy Bender welcomed Plano West Senior High School floral design students Carley Nelson and Carena Fay who won Grand Championship and Third Place in the floral design competition at the East Texas State Fair. The students led the Pledge of Allegiance.
- A presentation of students who have achieved success at state and national levels was displayed in a slideshow at the meeting. The board congratulated the students for their outstanding accomplishments.
- Superintendent of Schools Sara Bonser introduced a recognition honoring students and staff who assisted an adult volunteer in need of emergency medical assistance. Clark High School sophomores Christy Winkler, Riley Winkler and Levi Helms, and staff members Tom Kailey, Clark High School athletic director, and Jacquelynn Foley, Plano Senior High athletic trainer, were recognized and applauded for their swift and caring actions. Also in attendance for the recognition was Timothy Sullivan, Clark High School health sciences teacher and the volunteer assisted, Julie Coon.
- There were three speakers regarding an agenda item during the public comment portion of the agenda.
- Presentations and supporting documents for agenda items may be viewed on BoardBook.
- The board took the following actions or heard the following reports:
- Item VII.D.1, RFP2018-041, Access Control Systems, Intrusion Alarm Systems and Security Services Technician was removed from the agenda and will be resubmitted at a subsequent meeting.
- Item VII.I. Recommendation of Members for the District Textbook Adoption Committee was pulled from the consent agenda for further discussion.
- All other items on the consent agenda were approved.
- Randy McDowell, chief financial officer, and Linda Madon, executive director for financial services, gave a report on the state financial accountability rating system known as School FIRST (Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas). The district received the highest rating of Superior Achievement. The 2017-18 rating is based upon an analysis of staff, student and financial data reported for the 2016-17 school year. The district achieved a perfect score of 100 on the 15 indicators. President Bender opened the required public hearing regarding School FIRST Rating and, with no speakers, the public meeting was closed.
- Karla Oliver, assistant superintendent for government, community and planning initiatives, provided an update on the district’s strategic planning initiative. At a 2-day planning retreat, the strategic planning team, made up of community members, district staff, school board members and students, explored the district’s needs and collaborated to establish goals and action plans to help set the course for the district's future. The district is in the process of creating action teams that will carry out the next phase of work. Ms. Pamela Zeigler-Petty, immediate past-president of the board of the ArtCentre of Plano, reflected on her experience as a member of the strategic planning team and Katka Durcanska, Academy High School student, shared via video a few words about her experience on the team.
- Ms. Oliver presented two 2019-20 instructional calendar drafts to the board for consideration and review. Draft A of the calendar features a Monday start date with the last day of school before Memorial Day. Draft B features a Wednesday start date with the last day of school after Memorial Day. Additional feedback will be garnered and brought forward at a subsequent meeting.
- Karla Oliver introduced the overview of legislative priorities, Taxparency efforts and advocacy activities for the 86th Legislative Session for board discussion.
- The board adopted and approved the 2018 Property Tax Roll and approved the Resolution Adopting the 2018 Property Tax Roll as presented by Randy McDowell.
- Dr. Dash Weerasinghe, senior executive director for assessment, research, and program evaluation, presented the District Improvement Plan approved by the District Based Improvement Committee. The board approved the plan as presented.
- The board approved additional board advisory committee appointments for 2018-19 as presented.
- Item VII.I. from the consent agenda was brought forward for discussion and approved as presented.
- There was one speaker regarding a non-agenda item.