Professional Learning Overview
Professional Learning Definition
Professional Learning is a reflective and continuous growth process where learning extends into practice, positively impacting student success.
Professional Learning Vision Statement
Plano ISD will cultivate a culture that empowers and supports all staff through collaborative, innovative, reflective learning.
Professional Learning Guiding Principles
The Plano ISD professional learning program will…
- Be differentiated to meet the diverse learning needs of staff.
- Emphasize the importance of learning as the desired outcome rather than the total hours of attendance in a session.
- Support each staff member when planning, fulfilling, and monitoring his/her professional learning experiences.
- Prepare all employees to understand and appreciate all students and to hold high expectations for their students’ academic achievement and personal growth.
- Promote innovative practices and job-embedded, timely learning opportunities with continuing follow-up.
- Incorporate learning communities with goals aligned to those of the state, district, cluster, school, and/or individuals.
- Deepen educators’ content knowledge, provide them with research-based instructional strategies, prepare them to use various types of assessments, and provide them with the knowledge and skills necessary to involve families in their children’s education.
- Reflect a collaborative, unified program seeking continuous improvement, while diversifying the structure to honor the unique needs of early childhood, elementary, middle, high, and senior high campuses.
- Assess the merit, worth, and effectiveness of professional learning initiatives and activities.