Nia Carranza - Counselor
The guidance and counseling program is an essential part of the overall school experience. It is my deepest hope that every school year be filled with possibilities and accomplishments for all students. It is a privilege and joy to work with the students, parents, community, and staff here at Skaggs!
I do classroom guidance lessons with each grade level every other week for 30 minutes. These lessons cover subjects such as:
- decision making/goal setting
- mental health/safety
- anti-bullying/peer pressure
- uniqueness/cross-cultural effectiveness
- managing anger/handling stress
- conflict resolution/problem solving
- drug awareness/responsible behavior
- personal safety & abuse
- growth mind-set/self-talk/self-confidence
- colleges/careers/military readiness
- empathy/compassion/kindness/interpersonal effectiveness/friendship
I form small groups each semester for new students, building friendships, changing families, study skills, confidence, etc. In addition to working with students, I organize parenting workshops, help with various testing that goes on in the building, and help plan fun-filled special weeks for the campus. Additionally, I am a member of the Multi-Tiered System & Support Team (MTSS), which helps to plan strategies for student success. In my free time I always stay alert for any crisis that may arise!