Academy High school makes AP exams available to our learners who have prepared to take one or more AP exams. Below is basic information regarding AP exams.
AP exam Registration for 2023-2024 ends November 8th 2023.
What are AP exams?
AP (Advanced Placement) exams are offered through Collegeboard to high school students. Typically, but not always, these students are enrolled in AP courses as part of their high school programming.
Why do learners take AP exams?
Most learners take AP exams with the goal being college credit. Universities offer college credit for courses if a certain score is earned on an AP exam. The exams are scored 1-5. A university may offer credit for a 3, but may require a score of 5 to earn credit. This varies from university to university and from exam to exam. It is the learner’s responsibility to check with their potential university to see what it’s requirements are and how the university recognizes credit earned through an AP exam. Taking an AP exam in no way ensures that a learner will earn college credit nor does it ensure that a learner will not need to take a course while enrolled at a university.
How does a learner prepare for an AP exam?
Learners are expected to prepare for their selected AP exam/s on their own. There are online resources available to assist in that preparation as well as resources at the Collegeboard website.
How does an AP exam affect a learner's transcript?
An AP exam score does not show on a learner’s high school transcript. The only record of an AP exam score lies with Collegeboard and the learner. The exam grade does not affect the high school GPA either. How a university credits the AP exam score varies from university to university. The learner must send their AP exam score to their university.
Academy AP Testing Fee 2023-2024
Exam Payment Information for 2023-24
Payment Deadline - November 8, 2023
Payments via Rykor
$98.00 per exam
$21.00 (students on free/reduced lunch) per exam
The College Board administers the AP program and has developed certain policies for exam ordering. Plano ISD is required to honor College Board procedures in order to participate in the AP program. Exam ordering has two parts: adding a join code for each AP class AND paying all exam fees by the specific deadlines.
- Students will create College Board accounts at the beginning of the year in order to access course-related resources and enter the identification information required for exam ordering. Additionally, students must add the join codes in any course in which they are currently enrolled.
- Take note of the username, password, and email address associated with the account.
- Consult the listed fees above and the exam schedule to decide on exams. Communicate the decision with Mrs.Gunnels at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are NOT currently enrolled in an AP course and you only intend to take a course test.
- All learners are able to access AP Test payment in Rycor.
- AP student account creation in College Board and course exam fee deadline in Rykor is Wednesday, November 8.
- Students who wish to take an AP exam for any course(s) in which they are not currently enrolled must contact Mrs.Gunnels (email@example.com) for an “exam only” join code and pay the exam fee by the Wednesday, November 8, 2023 deadline. All “exam-only” exam fees must be paid by Wednesday, November 8, 2023.
- AP exam fees and payment: Use these instructions for Rykor payment
- $98.00 per exam for all other AP exams online via Rycor
- $21.00 per exam for students on free or reduced lunch taking all other AP exams online via Rycor
- Credit card and e-check options are available. (A processing fee will be charged)
TSI (Texas Success Initiative)
All students planning to attend a college or university in Texas (including community colleges such as Collin College) are required to take the TSI Assessment to determine their readiness for college-level coursework. Based on how the student performs on the TSI, they may either be allowed to enroll in college level courses or placed in a developmental course to help improve their skills.
In some cases, your PSAT, ACT or STAAR scores may qualify you to be exempt from all or part of the TSI Assessment.