Strategic Plan 2015 - 2019
Helping all students in Plano public schools achieve their full potential by providing financial support to educators and academic programs.
The foundation creates a vibrant coalition of community, educators and local corporations to raise funds through tax-deductible donations. The funds support academic programs to achieve excellence in science and math, to bridge the gap for economically disadvantaged students, and provide educator grants to create innovative teaching programs.
Based on the focus groups with Plano ISD Education Foundation Board Members and the Leadership Team of Plano ISD, the following areas of focus are recommended for the Strategic Plan 2015-2019:
- Fortify alignment with Plano ISD to enable expanding existing leading edge programs and critical investments for upcoming
- Collaborate with Plano ISD to understand student emerging and/or growing experience gap needs in order to shape future fundraising
- Maintain an organizational framework that ensures the overall growth and sustainability of the Foundation.
- Continue to leverage the strength of the fundraising program while broadening the base of donors.
- Effectively launch the endowment program for the Education
1. Fortify alignment with Plano ISD to enable expanding existing leading edge programs and critical investments for upcoming needs.
1.1 Ensure partnership with Plano ISD supports the mission of the Foundation.
1.2 Determine who should be engaged to maintain strong alignment between the organizations.
1.3 Establish a more regular cadence, potentially quarterly, for these leaders to meet to propose spend allocation.
1.4 Strategize with Plano ISD to help support and sustain the Academy Program.
1.5 Expand the reach of the AVID and Plano Family Literacy programs in collaboration with the Plano ISD.
1.6 Recognize Educators and innovative programs, encouraging programs that can be implemented across the District.
2. Collaborate with Plano ISD to understand student emerging and/or growing experience gap needs in order to shape future fund raising activities
2.1 Establish a regular cadence, potentially quarterly, for Foundation and Plano ISD leaders to meet and propose focused programs to tackle emerging needs.
2.2 Work with Plano ISD to identify opportunities for corporate involvement across the District.
2.3 Leverage the network and expertise of the Foundation Board members to seek targeted corporate support to meet prioritized needs.
2.4 Develop the capability via PISD.edu, existing marketing, and existing communication to the Plano community to highlight and celebrate corporate giving.
3. Maintain an organizational framework that ensures the overall growth and sustainability of the Foundation.
3.1 Develop and maintain strategic board committees to support the programs of the Foundation and any future initiatives.
3.2 Engage corporate and community leaders to support the work of the Foundation, leveraging experience and contacts with targeted strategic needs.
3.3 Ensure qualified and effective staff to meet the growing needs of the Foundation.
3.4 Maintain a Board of Directors that meets the strategic needs of the Foundation.
3.5 Review governing documents to ensure lawful operations of the Foundation.
4. Continue to leverage the strengths of the fundraising program while broadening the base of donors
4.1. Effectively market the Foundation programs and fundraisers.
a. Create an aspirational brand for the organization that is easily identifiable and clearly represents our mission both internally and externally.
b. Create a multi-year awareness marketing and publicity plan
4.2 Identify critical target groups for potential donor development and create marketing campaigns for each of the target groups.
4.3 Create regular vehicles for communication to our constituents for building awareness and for sharing progress.
4.4 Create necessary collateral materials to build a strong brand in all efforts including endowment campaign, alumni initiative, major gifts and annual fund drive.
4.5 Provide meaningful stewardship of donor relationships to support development goals.
4.6 Establish a regular process to assess progress of donor development and stewardship. .
4.7 Expand fundraising development with private foundations.
4.8 Continue to build strong relationships with the Council of PTAs and campus PTAs.
5. Effectively launch the endowment program for the Education Foundation
5.1 Incorporate endowment program in to the overall fundraising strategy of the
5.2 Establish a targeted campaign aimed at large donations ($25K+) to launch the endowment.
5.3 Create a planned giving
5.4 Establish a relationship with the Retired Teachers
5.5 Develop a platform for public recognition of donors to the
Budget and Operational Implications
There are several budget and operational implications of the recommended objectives and actions. An initial short list of the implications is given below:
- Build marketing expertise (or get pro bono help) to establish brand for the organization – tagline, key messages
- Budget for the development of marketing campaigns and creation of collateral material like printing of brochures, letterhead, newsletters to deliver the message effectively.
- Budget for professional help to manage all web, email, marketing and survey activities; and a part-time technical writer and process to collect material associated with online eNewsletter program.
- Identify and implement a survey tool for conducting and analyzing evaluations
- Build relationship with Estate Planning professionals to conduct seminars.
- Hire staff to support program and fundraising as needed.
This list will need to be reviewed and revised by the specific committees responsible for the implementation of the actions; specific budget estimates need to be developed and approved to implement these actions.