Welcome to our school library page! Please stop by the library to acquaint yourself with what it has to offer you and your children. We are always happy to help you with your library needs. Pearson library is a busy place for students, teachers, and families. Our focus is to provide children with an inviting environment that encourages the love of reading. We believe that immersing young children into the joys of literature will encourage them to have a lifelong love of reading.
Information About Our Library
Each class visits the library for storytime every other week, alternating with classroom counselor lessons. Storytime includes checking out a book to share at home. Our storytime lessons support the classroom curriculum, which is based on the state PreK guidelines. Children are introduced to award winning books in all genres.
Your child may check out one book at a time. All of our students are given a special library book bag to transport their library book to and from home. The book must be returned on or before their next storytime in order to check out a new one. If it is forgotten, you may send it the following day and a teaching assistant will be happy to bring your child down for a new book.
If a book is lost or damaged, the book must be paid for before another book can be checked out. We ask that children look for lost books at home and in the classroom before paying for the book. Books are considered lost after 30 days. If a book is lost, we will send a notice with your child with the cost of the book. Please send a check to school made out to Pearson ECS. Money paid for a lost book will be gladly refunded, if the book is returned undamaged during the current school year. We love to find lost books!
We spend a lot of time learning about how to care for library books. Please assist your child by establishing a special place for your child’s library book and discuss book care together as a family. Most importantly, read the library book with your child to promote enjoyment of literature and to establish good reading habits!
Why Do We Offer Storytime?
Better Kid Care Project, Penn State University
- It introduces children to literature
- It increases their vocabulary
- It improves listening skill
- It exercises their attention span
- It develops a positive attitude toward books as a source of pleasure and information
- It stimulates their imagination
- It satisfies and heightens curiosity
- It sharpens observation skills
- It introduces the mechanics of reading, turning pages, left to right, etc
- It brings them to the library, a wonderful place to be!
Parent Checkout Program
Monday-Friday 8:00-8:15 am and 12:00-12:15 pm. The remainder of the day, storytimes are in session with the librarian
We strongly encourage parents to check out library materials to read with your preschoolers at home. We offer a wide variety of fiction and nonfiction books for preschoolers, books for preschoolers in Spanish, and a parenting section, which includes many Love and Logic selections.
- Please sign in at the office and get a visitor sticker before visiting the library.
- We have a short form with our library guidelines for parents to fill out each year.
- Families may check out up to five items at a time. Books may be kept for two weeks.
- While we do not charge overdue fines, damaged or lost materials must be paid for. Items are considered lost after 30 days. We will gladly refund money paid for lost materials that are found in the current school year.
We value our wonderful library volunteers at Pearson. If you are interested in helping in the library, please let Mrs. Brooks know. We appreciate the valuable time that our volunteers give to the library!