Pearson Early Childhood
Assistant Principal: Deanna Murray
Counselor: Mariana Lucero
- PreK - 7:55 a.m. - 3:10 p.m. (doors open at 7:45 a.m.)
- RDSPD - 7:55 a.m. - 3:10 p.m. (doors open at 7:45 a.m.)
School Colors: Blue, green and red
Motto: Proud of all our possibilities
Year Opened: 2002
- Andrews Elementary School
- Bethany Elementary School
- Beverly Elementary School
- Carlisle Elementary School
- Christie Elementary School
- Davis Elementary School
- Harrington Elementary School
- Hedgcoxe Elementary School
- Hughston Elementary School
- Mathews Elementary School
- Rasor Elementary School
- Regional Day School Program for the Deaf (RDSPD)
- Skaggs Elementary School
- Thomas Elementary School
- Wyatt Elementary School
Phone: (469) 752-4300
Fax: (469) 752-4301
4000 Eagle Pass
Plano, TX 75023
About Pearson Early Childhood
Plano ISD provides a quality preschool program for children ages three to five at Pearson Early Childhood School. This learning community allows the district to meet the state-mandated guidelines for prekindergarten students and the least restrictive environment mandate for preschool special education students as required by state and federal law. These young learners are educated daily by certified professionals. We provide a librarian, counselor and nurse to meet the needs of the students. Our school caters to young learners within our state-of-the-art facility.
Plano ISD offers a number of programs for preschool children, which are outlined on this site. Students residing within Plano ISD attendance zone boundaries may register to attend one of three Early Childhood Schools (Beaty, Isaacs or Pearson) under one of the following three criteria.
- Tuition-Supported Community Prekindergarten
- State and Federal Programs
- Early Childhood Special Education
Tuition-Supported Community Prekindergarten
Children who are four years old on or before September 1 and who do not qualify for either the Early Childhood Special Education or Prekindergarten (described below) are eligible to enroll in the Tuition-Supported Prekindergarten Program at Beaty, Isaacs or Pearson Early Childhood Schools. Parents choose a three or five day per week program for their child and agree to pay a tuition fee in nine monthly installments. There is an additional non-refundable registration fee of $100 per child.
A packet of information describing this program and the registration procedure can be picked up at any Plano ISD early childhood school, the Plano ISD Administration Building at 2700 West 15th Street and at the Plano ISD Shiloh Center, Multilingual Assessment Office, at 3540 East 14th Street.
State and Federal Programs
Prekindergarten is a state-mandated program that serves children who are four years of age on or before September 1. Students may attend this program free of charge if they meet any of the following criteria:
- is limited English speaking
- qualifies for free or reduced lunch
- is an active military dependent
- has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services
- is homeless
If you live in east Plano, call (469) 752-3484. If you live in central Plano, call (469) 752-4300. If you live in west Plano, call (469) 752-4202.
Early Childhood Special Education
ECSE is a special education program that serves children between the ages of three and five who have delays in the areas of speech, language, physical, social and/or emotional development. Bilingual (Spanish) classrooms are provided when necessary. The amount of time and type of services provided are determined by an Individual Education Program (IEP) committee. Eligible students attend this program at no cost to the family. Students are eligible for services on their third birthday.
If you live in east Plano, call the campus assessment team at (469) 752-6587.
If you live in central Plano, call the campus assessment team at (469) 752-4326.
If you live in west Plano, call the campus assessment team at (469) 752-4226.
- 2018-20: PTA was designated as a National PTA School of Excellence. Prestigious recognition, symbolizing PTAs incredible work as national leaders in developing strong family-school partnerships.
- 2015-16: PTA had first ever bike rodeo at campus awarding four students with gift cards to Plano Cycling.
- 2014-15: PTA received several awards this year to include Golden Apple award; Student Membership achievement; Mars award; Winter Increase award; Spring Increase award; and the Silver PTA award. Principal Dr. Cheri Izbicki was honored to receive the “Friend of Frog Street” award from Frog Street Press for Administrator of the Year at the Splash 2015 conference.
- 2013-14: PTA awarded the Golden Apple award for 100% staff participation; Early Bird Membership award and Spring Membership Increase award.
- 2012-13: PTA awarded the Golden Apple award for 100% staff participation; staff members presented at the Texas Speech & Hearing Association conference.
- 2011-12: Pearson ECS celebrated its 10th year anniversary! PTA awarded the Golden Apple award for 100% staff participation; Early Bird Membership award; Spring Membership Increase award; and Educator Incentive Grant winners!
- 2010-11: PTA awarded the Golden Apple for 100% participation; Early Bird Membership award; Spring Membership Increase award. Plano Council of PTAs presented Pearson PTA with the Building for Success Directory award. Pearson PTA was appreciated by the Plano ISD Education Foundation for their support of the 2011 Grants to Educators program. Pearson ECS dressed the 10,000th child for Operation School Bell in October 2010. Dr. Izbicki was the guest speaker at the Operations School Bell Boot Scootin' Fundraiser in November 2010. Dr. Cheri Izbicki was the President for Texas Administrator and Supervisors for Programs for Young Children (TAASPYC) and hosted the annual symposium in the DFW area.
- 2009-10: Plano ISD Beginning Teacher of the Year, Sarah Davis McKee! Kristina Kardos awarded Teacher Excellence award honored in the top five teachers in the Experienced Teachers of the Year for Plano ISD. PTA awarded the Golden Apple for 100% participation in the PTA; Early Bird Membership award; Spring Membership Increase award. Pearson PTA was awarded The Medal of Valor for Student Directory. PTA was again recognized by the Plano ISD Education Foundation for Parent and Community Honor Roll. Dr. Cheri Izbicki was the President for Texas Administrator and Supervisors for Programs for Young Children (TAASPYC) and hosted the annual symposium in the DFW area.
- 2008-09: Educator Incentive Grant winners! Principal presented at the national conference for the National Association for Educating Young Children - Dallas, Texas (November 2008). Golden Apple Award for 100% staff participation in the PTA! Pearson PTA awarded Texas PTA Bronze Level award for Parent Education. PTA also recognized by Plano ISD Education Foundation for Parent and Community Honor Roll.
- 2006-07: Educator Incentive Grant winners! Two staff members presented at the National Association for Educating Young Children; principal presented at DLM Summer Institute. Golden Apple award for 100% staff participation in the PTA! Heather Helm Young was honored with the Teacher Excellence award in the top five teachers in the Experienced Elementary Teachers of the Year for Plano ISD.
- 2005-06: Principal presented at the national conference for the National Association for Educating Young Children, Washington, DC; librarian grant winner to attend the AALS conference. Golden Apple award for 100% staff participation in the PTA!
- 2004-05: Educator Incentive Grant winner; first place Plano Senior High School Homecoming Parade; third place (School) March for Respect; three staff members presented at the Collin Community College Educational Symposium. Golden Apple wward for 100% staff participation in the PTA!
- 2003-04: Two staff members presented at the Collin College Educational Symposium; three staff members presented at the Texas Speech & Hearing Association conference. Golden Apple award for 100% staff participation in the PTA!
- 2002-03: Educator Incentive Grant winner; five staff members presented at the national conference for National Association for Educating Young Children; three staff members presented at the Collin Community College Educational Symposium. Golden Apple award for 100% staff participation in the PTA!
Parent Teacher Association (PTA) – available programming for all Pearson PTA Families. Parenting classes offered to Pearson ECS families. Please call Pearson Counselor for details (469) 752-4315.
Parent Involvement Opportunities
All ECS's have an active Parent/Teacher Association (PTA). Families have an opportunity to join the PTA at "Meet the Staff" and "Parent Orientation" meetings as well as throughout the school year as new families join our community. The PTA provides families with experiences for all family members as well as specific programming to meet the parenting needs of three and four year old children. The PTA also provides funding and educational materials for the classrooms to support the Pre-K guidelines and curriculum. Ask anyone at the ECS about how to join your PTA!
Please check our Pearson ECS Facebook for upcoming parent engagement opportunities such as Coffee with the Principal, Meet the Nurse, PTA Family Fall Picnic, etc.! We would love for you to join us!
For information, contact this school and/or the Early Childhood School hotline at (469) 752-4299.
History of Pearson
Pearson Early Childhood receives its name from Lena Bishop Pearson, who was born on May 6, 1892, on a farm west of Plano.
As a child, Lena attended the Barksdale School, a one-room schoolhouse with nine grades. She graduated from Plano High School in May of 1910, and then received her permanent teacher's certificate from Texas Normal School. She taught at Lucas and Barksdale until she married, later having two children and spending her next 20 years on a farm. She died in 1988 at the age of 95.