May 24, 2021
May 18: Board Meeting
The Plano ISD Board of Trustees met in regular session on Tuesday, May 18. View meeting agenda and meeting video.
The Texas Instruments (IT) Foundation Innovations in STEM Teaching Award winners were honored by the Board of Trustees. This competition for STEM teachers is now in its 15th year with nearly $2 million awarded to six local school districts. This year's winners are: Michelle Baudoin, math teacher at Wilson Middle School; Tina Cone, technology facilitator at Academy High School; and Alex Ritter, CTE teacher at Jasper High School. View video of recognition.
Plano iSD Education Foundation Senior Executive Director Jamee Jolly; Michelle Baudoin, Wilson Middle School; Alex Ritter, Jasper High School; Tina Cone, Academy High School; and Education Foundation Board Member and TI representative Harshal Chhaya. Read more.
RECOGNITION OF OUTGOING BOARD MEMBER
Board President, Tammy Richards did not seek re-election and was recognized by her fellow board members on this her final meeting. Ms. Richards has served Plano ISD as board president during four school years and was initially elected to serve in May 2010. Ms. Richards was honored with a gavel and during a small private reception a flower arrangement created by Plano West floral design students and a framed memento of schools opened under her tenure including four academies, Otto Middle School, McMillen High School and the Solomon Adult Transition Center. Thank you for "opening doors for Plano ISD students." View video of recognition.
Board Vice President Jeri Chambers presents plaque to Retiring Board President Tammy Richards.
OATH OF OFFICE FOR BOARD OF TRUSTEES ELECTION MAY 1
Newly elected or re-elected trustees took their oath of office at the May 18 meeting.
Trustee Place 1, Dr. Lauren Tyra
Trustee Place 2, Angela Powell
Trustee Place 3, Nancy Humphrey
Trustee Place 6, Jeri Chambers
ORGANIZATION OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES (2021-2022 ELECTION OF OFFICERS)
- Board President, David Stolle
- Vice President, Nancy Humphrey
- Secretary, Jeri Chambers
- Advocacy Efforts for the 87th Texas Legislative Session
- Return to School — Part 3: Health and Safety Protocols
- Preliminary 2021-2022 Budget Report
DISCUSSION AND ACTION
- Authorization of the Advertisement for Notice of Public Meeting to Discuss Budget and Proposed Tax Rate
- Approval of the Renewal of the Plano ISD District of Innovation Plan
Summer PSAT & SAT Test Prep Options for Students
May 18, 2021
Plano ISD secondary students are provided the opportunity to self-enroll in FREE SAT and PSAT test preparation courses through Edgenuity. These courses, if used appropriately, will help students become familiar with the SAT exam and develop test taking strategies with the goal of raising scores.
Edgenuity is available through WebDesk. Read these directions to learn how to add the Edgenuity tile to your WebDesk dashboard to enroll in these free test preparation courses.
Community Flyers Are Now Online in the Materials Distribution (MD) Portal
Families can now easily learn about events, enrichment activities and opportunities offered by community organizations as well as school-affiliated organizations by visiting Plano ISD’s Online Materials Distribution Portal.
Community organizations are also invited to visit the site to post information. There is a $15 fee per post for nonprofit organizations and a $30 fee per post for for-profit organizations. Details about establishing an account to post information can be found on the website as well as guidelines.
Curbside Meals Available Each Tuesday
Curbside Meal Distribution
Curbside meals are available for pick-up each Tuesday from 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
The meal bundles can be picked up at any of the following locations:
- Clark High School, 523 W Spring Creek Pkwy, Plano
- Shepton High School, 5505 W Plano Pkwy, Plano
- Williams High School, 1717 17th St, Plano, TX 75074 (new pickup location off of Avenue P)
- McMillen High School, 750 N Murphy Rd, Murphy, TX 75094
- Vines High School, 1401 Highedge Dr, Plano, TX 75075
Anyone picking up meals for students, without the student present, must bring appropriate documentation in the form of a school issued ID, report card, parent portal attendance summary form, or birth certificate. Read More.
Enrollment for Early Childhood Is Open Online
The enrollment process is now open online for prekindergarten through kindergarten age students. Find out more at www.pisd.edu/ecprograms.
Health Screening Reminder for Families
Families should continue to monitor their children’s health. If a child is sick, please have them stay home to get better. Additionally, if any of the following scenarios apply, please also complete the COVID-19 Student Reporting Form and your school’s nurse will contact you to discuss your quarantine requirements:
- Your child or a household member is positive for COVID-19
- Your child or a household member is waiting for COVID-19 test results
- Your child is experiencing symptoms that could be COVID-19. Symptoms to watch for include coughing, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, headache, sore throat, fever, chills, body aches, fatigue, new loss of taste or smell, congestion or runny nose, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- In the last 10 days, your child has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19
All students entering a Plano ISD facility should continue to follow all current health and safety guidelines.
- Wear a face mask (prek–2nd grade students may use a district-provided face shield instead of a mask while in the classroom) whenever entering or leaving a building, in all common areas, and around others. The face mask should cover the nose and mouth at all times.
- Maintain a safe distance (at least 6 feet) from others, whenever possible.
- Continue to practice good hand hygiene by hand washing throughout the day and using hand sanitizer that is available at building entrances and in classrooms.
Thank you for your assistance in helping to keep our students healthy and safe.
Free GED and ESL Classes for Adults
In collaboration with Plano ISD, Collin Adult Education & Literacy located at 2000 N. Central Expressway, Suite 115, is offering free GED and English as a second language (ESL) classes for eligible adults in the Plano community. Virtual classes are available. The virtual class times are as follows until further notice:
- Monday–Thursday: 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., or 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Plano ISD needs you! Employment opportunities are available for bus drivers, cafeteria workers and more. Apply online. Your employment related questions may be emailed to email@example.com. Plano ISD is an equal opportunity employer.
Stadium Bag Policy
The stadium bag policy began in 2019 and is in effect for the 2020-21 school year, to promote the safety and security of Plano ISD students, staff, families and visitors. The district has modified its stadium bag policy by limiting the size and type of bags that spectators are allowed to bring into Plano ISD Stadiums. See the frequently asked questions on the athletics website for more information. Stadium locations include:
- Clark Stadium & Fields Complex
- Kimbrough Stadium
- Williams Stadium
Download the Mobile App
Get connected; stay connected. Download the Plano ISD Mobile App and login with your parent portal ID and password for student data and alerts. Link to download instructions.