November 19, 2020
Board Work Session: November 17
The Plano ISD Board of Trustees met in a work session on Tuesday, November 17. View meeting agenda.
- 2021 - 2022 School Calendar Drafts
- Course Selection Process and College Planning
- Cybersecurity Updates for Student Take-Home Devices
- 2020 - 2021 Plan of Work: Strategic Plan Pillars 3, 4 and 5
- Advocacy Efforts for the 87th Texas Legislature
- Board Member Liaison Updates
- National School Board Association (NSBA) Advocacy Institute
Special Called Meeting: November 30, Sockwell Center
Next Board Meeting: December 8, Plano ISD Administrative Center, Board Room
COVID-19 Exposure/Illness/Quarantine Reporting over Thanksgiving Break
During the week of Thanksgiving break, parents will still have access to the COVID-19 Student Reporting Form. Please complete and submit the form if your child tests positive for COVID-19, has symptoms that could be COVID-19, has a pending test result, or is quarantined due to close contact with a positive case. Reports submitted during the break will be reviewed on Sunday, November 29. Your school nurse will contact you regarding your child’s quarantine requirements and when the student may return to campus. If you are unable to submit an electronic report, please contact your school nurse to report. See your campus website for contact information.
If you have concerns about your child’s health during the break, please contact their doctor or go to the emergency room.
As students return from the break, please remember to keep your child home if any of the following scenarios apply:
- Your child or a household member is positive for COVID-19
- Your child or a household member is waiting for COVID-19 test results
- Your child is experiencing symptoms that could be COVID-19
- In the last 14 days, your child has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19
We wish you and your family a safe and happy Thanksgiving break!
Now - Nov 30: 3rd 9-Weeks Instructional Environment Change Window
Families have an opportunity to make a change to their child’s learning environment for the third 9-week period. As we have worked with Collin College, our higher education partner for dual credit, it became necessary to adjust the timing of the selection process in order for both organizations to have the information needed for staffing and scheduling second semester. For that reason the following slight adjustment is being made to the selection window:
Revised selection window: November 17-November 30
(Originally scheduled selection window: November 30-December 4)
The new window for selection is November 17-November 30 for all levels (elementary and secondary students). Students will be scheduled in the selected instructional environment, which will go into effect on January 5, 2021. If no changes are made in Parent Portal, then the current instructional environment will remain in effect until the fourth 9-week selection period opens.
- For parents who do NOT want to change of learning environment for their children - NO ACTION REQUIRED.
- Parents wishing to make a change will go to Parent Portal to make the change. Instructions on how to complete the process are located in the Parent Portal.
Now: Industries Academy, Meeting Registration
Parent/Student Virtual Information Nights: Plano ISD Industries Academy at the Collin College Technical Campus
Plano ISD, in partnership with Collin College, is offering a variety of workforce dual credit instruction at the new Plano ISD Industries Academy. This two-year program begins junior year of high school and continues through senior year. Student selection is based on interest and an application process. Once selected, students will attend both their Plano ISD senior high school campus and the Collin College technical campus.
Learn more at the scheduled Zoom parent/student information nights scheduled in December. Advanced registration is required. More information.
- December 3 at 6:30 p.m. Register for Zoom meeting.
- December 10 at 6:30 p.m. Register for Zoom meeting.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Nov. 20 - Dec 16: Applications Open for 3 High School Academies
Application and Selection Timeline for the Academy High School, Health Sciences Academy and the IB World School at Plano East
Important dates for current eight graders applying for one of the three high school Academy Programs of Plano for the 2020-21 school year.
Online Application Dates
- Applications open: November 20, 2020 beginning at 9 a.m.
- Applications close: December 16, 2020 closing at 9 p.m.
Notice of Placement
Applicants will be notified via email of the results of the admission process. Requests for early decisions cannot be honored.
- January 8, 2021, after 4 p.m.
Commitment from Student
When applicants have been informed that they have been offered admission, they will be required to submit an online commitment letter to secure their admission.
- January 15, 2021
Dec. 3: MLK Diversity Celebration Art Contest Deadline
In conjunction with the annual Martin Luther King, Jr., celebration held virtually in January, the district is once again hosting the diversity art contest. This contest is open to all students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. This year's theme is "Plano ISD Celebrating Together." For details, please contact your child's art teacher. Deadline for entry is December 3.
Dec. 11: Nomination Deadline - Diversity Leadership Awards
The Diversity Advisory Committee proudly announces that its 20th annual Plano ISD Diversity Leadership Award nominations are now open. The deadline for nominations is 5 p.m. Friday, December 11, 2020.
The individual and group winners will be recognized at the Martin Luther King, Jr. celebration to be held virtually in January 2021. Please nominate an individual or group whose program or initiative has proven to promote diversity through stronger relationships, improved communications and enhanced understanding within Plano ISD or the broader community within the past year.
Key components of the Diversity Leadership Award include:
- Promoting diversity in the district and/or community
- Embracing diversity in the district and/or community
- Educating the district and or community about diversity
Categories may include:
- Student or student group*
- Plano ISD individual or group
- Community individual or group
*Students may also nominate themselves.
For additional information, please contact Tawn King at 469-752-8187 or email@example.com.
Dec. 14: High School/Sr. High Cohort B Calendar Adjustment
Monday, December 14, has been designated as a day for cohort B students (last names beginning with M-Z) to attend school (for face-to-face) or participate in synchronous learning (for School@Home). This day has been switched with Friday, December 18 for cohort B in order to ensure both cohorts participate in synchronous instruction the same number of minutes during the final week of the grading period. Cohort B students will participate in asynchronous activities on December 14.
Free GED and ESL Classes for Adults
In collaboration with Plano ISD, Collin Adult Education & Literacy located at 2000 N. Central Expressway, Suite 115, is offering free GED and English as a second language (ESL) classes for eligible adults in the Plano community. Virtual classes are available. The virtual class times are as follows until further notice:
- Monday–Thursday: 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., or 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Free & Reduced Meal Application
Free/reduced meal status expired on September 24. Eligible families must complete an application so your children can continue receiving meals at a free or reduced price.
Families can submit paper applications, which must be returned to your child's school. Please allow a minimum of 10 business days to process and remember to:
- Include the last four digits of the social security number or check “no social”
- Sign the application
Plano ISD needs you! Employment opportunities are available for bus drivers, cafeteria workers and more. Apply on line. Your employment related questions may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Plano ISD is an equal opportunity employer.
Download the Mobile App
Get connected; stay connected. Download the Plano ISD Mobile App and login with your parent portal ID and password for student data and alerts. Link to download instructions.
Health Screening Reminder
Parents are reminded to please take a moment each day to monitor your children’s health and do not send them to school if they are displaying any COVID-19 symptoms or have tested positive for COVID-19. No one should enter a Plano ISD school or facility if any of the following apply:
- Sick with symptoms that could be COVID-19. Symptoms to watch for: fever (100°F or higher), cough, shortness of breath/difficulty breathing, chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, fatigue, congestion/running nose, nausea/diarrhea, new loss of taste or smell.
- Has a confirmed case of COVID-19 or has been in close contact with a person with a confirmed case of COVID-19. These individuals must follow all isolation and quarantine guidelines from the local health authority or their physician.
- Has a household member who is awaiting COVID-19 test results, or who is awaiting their own test results.
If any of the above conditions apply, the COVID-19 Student Reporting Form should be completed. Thank you for your assistance in helping to keep our students healthy and safe.