Frequently Asked Questions
Plano ISD Superintendent of Schools Sara Bonser recently visited with Abbie Alter from Plano Moms for a Facebook Live segment to answer questions from moms across the district. Parents were given an opportunity to submit questions before and during the interview, and the questions and aswers have been curated in the FAQ below.
Where can I find information about food and nutrition?
Direct your questions and feedback regarding school meals to Plano ISD's Food and Nutritional Services (FANS) Department. Visit pisd.edu/fans. Watch this video to learn the various ways this team serves Plano ISD students:
Where can I find more information about transportation?
Meet a few members of the trasformation services team and see why they enjoy serving students in Plano ISD:
How can I report a facilities concern?
Contact the facilities services department through our general FAQ mailbox, askPISD@pisd.edu. Your questions and concerns will be routed to the appropriate contact and questions are answered within five days.
Whom do I contact with concerns about the playground or grounds at my elementary school?
Regarding playground and landscaping issues at the elementary campuses, these will be addressed on a per campus basis. There are current plans in place to install grass at various campuses, including playground areas, over summer break, which will help control erosion. You can always make your campus administrator aware of any such maintenance issues, or send them to askPISD@pisd.edu.
What is the district doing to address state recapture of our tax dollars?
Our board prescriptively makes school funding a priority each legislative session, petitioning lawmakers for an improved public education funding system and relief for Plano ISD taxpayers.
Learn more about Plano ISD's legsalative priorities and efforts for Taxparancy at www.pisd.edu/taxparency.
What academic choices do students have outside of the comprehensive K-12 experience?
Programs of choice include:
- Huffman Elementary International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme Candidate School: an international education program that focuses on the whole child and explores globally significant ideas and issues
- IB World School at Plano East (grades 9-12): 690 Diploma Candidates last year
- Academy High School (grades 9-12): Interdisciplinary project based learning/STEAM focus
- Health Sciences Academy (grades 9-12): 270 students prepared to enter the healthcare field upon graduation
- 12,915 students enrolled in CTE courses, preparing for life and workforce readiness across multiple disciplines, earning 2,193 industry certifications last year
- Collin Technical Campus coming fall 2020: Workforce dual credit based on workforce demands in our region
- Adult Transition Center providing life and employment skills to young adults with special needs
Will there be an expansion of the IB program into middle schools?
We are, indeed, exploring the IB Middle Years Programme, which is a grades 6-10 program. We currently offer International Honors in 9-10, preparing for IB in 11-12 (cohort experience at Plano East).
Where can I find information about Special Education?
Special education involves both our youngest and oldest learners in the district, ranging in age from 3 to 21. We are looking out for them from prek, in our early childhood schools, through life after graduation, in our new Adult Transition Center. Learn more about Plano ISD's Special Education programs, and contribute to the survey which is underway, at pisd.edu/sped.
What is the procedure for managing bullying and behavior issues?
Plano ISD schools follow policies and procedures, and have tools in place, to bring awareness to, report and take corrective action in regard to issues of student safety, including bullying and harassment.
The first step is to report any bullying concerns to your campus principal and couselor. If you feel further intervention is needed, you may contact the student and family services department at (469) 752-8134 or the campus services department at (469) 752-8105.
How do I stay informed about Plano ISD and how can I learn about the direction the district is going?
Plano ISD hosts monthly school board meetings and the April 9, 2019, meeting included a report to the school board regarding the reimagined strategic plan. You can watch an the meeting online at www.pisd.edu/PISDLIVE.
Download the PISD Mobile App
• View student grades and attendance
• Access school and staff info
• View news stories
• Receive important alerts
• View calendar info