AVID - Advancement Via Individual Determination
This year students will be exposed to:
- SMART Goals – Students will learn how to set goals that are Specific, Measureable, Action Oriented, Realistic, and have Time limits for academic/personal goals.
- Organization – Students continued to demonstrate the benefits of using their organizational tools for success. Binders, agendas, dividers, pencil pouches, etc. They also used the self-monitoring strategies like keeping track of their assignments. And learning objectives.
- Note Taking – Students will become proficient in taking 2- and 3-column notes in all subject areas .
- College Awareness – Students learned the importance of a college education. A college visit will be schedule to promote pursuit of higher education.
- Collaboration – Students used various collaborative structures, including the use of scholarly language when working in groups.
Fostering a Growth Mindset
Mindset is very important when it comes to a student’s approach to learning. A person with a growth mindset believes that success is a product. Success does not come only to those with talent and inherent ability. Hard work and perseverance are key factors in achieving success.
Our Focus for the 2019-2020 School Year
- Organizational Tools Binder and Agendas(Continued)
- 2– and 3– Column Note Taking
- Reflection (D.L.I.Q.)
- SMART Goals
- Inquiry – Costa’s Level of Thinking and Questioning
- Critical Reading Strategies