MS CS Course and Information
Plano ISD Computer Science now offers a middle school computer science course for 8th graders. Ask your counselor how to enroll in this course offering.
Why Take Computer Science Courses - Check out this career information about computer science to help you decide about a career in computer science.
Fundamentals of Computer Science
This course is an engaging one-semester course that provides a foundation for a strong coding and computer science experience. Students enrolled in the course will learn to program using Python programming language. This course is the first of many in the Cybersecurity Pathway; and the Programming and Software Development Pathway. Students who complete this course will receive 0.5 high school credit and grade points, which will be reflected on the student’s high school transcript.
- The following resources are used in this course.
- CompuScholar Python and Digital Savvy
- Everything You Need to Ace Computer Science and Coding in One Big Fat Notebook: The Complete Middle School Study Guide (Big Fat Notebooks) by Grant Smith
- Micro:bits - Micro:bits are small programmable circuit boards.
- Trinket.io - We use this resource to help build students' programming skills by starting out with Python blocks.
- Birdbrain HumminBirdbrain Hummingbird Robotics Kit Website (These will be implemented once social distancing guidelines expire.)