The ESL & Bilingual Program
- Provides instruction for the Emergent Bilingual student in the most appropriate program format in accordance with Texas Education Agency (TEA) guidelines.
- Provides instruction that reflects the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) and PISD curriculum guidelines in all content areas.
- Promotes acceptance of Bilingual/ESL instruction as an integral part of the whole school program.
- Promotes understanding and respect for diversity by students, parents, staff and community.
- Enhances the student’s self-esteem and promotes a positive school climate.
- Evaluates results and makes adjustments as warranted to address student learning at both campus and district levels.
- Supports staff development on cultural and linguistic diversity and second language acquisition strategies/methodologies.
- Addresses issues relating to staffing and instructional/organizational arrangements.
- Communicates success of Bilingual/ESL programs to the students, parents, district, and community.
- Actively promotes parental involvement as an integral part of a student’s education.
Bilingual Program Goals
The goals of the Bilingual program are for students to:
- Attain oral fluency in communication and literacy skills in their native language,
- Attain high levels of academic achievement in language arts and in content subjects in their native language and in English,
- Improve their English proficiency,
- Transfer concepts and skills into English.
ESL Program Goals
The goals of the ESL program are for students to:
- Improve their English proficiency
- Attain high levels of academic achievement in language arts and in content subjects
The assessment measurements that will be used to analyze the goals are: