- Title 10 United States Code, Section 2031 is the implementing authority
- Legislated in 1916 - Army only
- 1964 - Congress expanded to all Services and changed from active duty to shared support from the services and schools
- JROTC is the Department of Defense's largest youth development program in our secondary schools (purpose in law is to teach citizenship and leadership, while instilling self-esteem, teamwork, and self-discipline in each Cadet)
- Army JROTC has over 310,000 students
- 1731 secondary schools with units
- ~ 300 high schools are on the waiting list
SACSCASI Accreditation Comments...
- Implementation of a comprehensive quality educational delivery system for students, including enrollment, newly developed curriculum, lesson plans, counseling, and evaluation.
- As a result, JROTC can be trusted by the public to provide a quality service consistent with its advertised promises.
- A comprehensive educational model that ensures student success.
- Work to get courses accepted as requirements or mandatory electives.
JROTC Character Education
According to the Character Education Partnership (CEP), JROTC builds character by creating an environment where young people respect themselves and others, appreciate the importance of assuming responsibility, and feel a part of a team or group. Instilling core citizenship values and developing character are an integral part of JROTC. According to the CEP, there must be places in the schools where children feel invited, places where they are not bullied and feel a connection. Programs that provide these places and build character are those that address the following: less violence; higher self esteem; less absenteeism; higher achievement scores and academic performance; more connection to schools, engagement in lessons, and commitment to success. JROTC is such a program. The character education development that takes place in JROTC not only has a positive effect on Cadets, but also has a powerful impact on the schools and the communities it serves.
Premiere Junior Leader Development Model
Army JROTC is one of the few programs available in the school schedule that has such a profound impact on motivating students to excel. JROTC has the mentors, tools, and organization to overcome many of education's common challenges.