Welcome to the McMillen Library!The McMillen Library has over 14,000 resources in the library for student and teacher use, including books, magazines, databases and professional materials. In addition to our school collection, the district offers ebooks and audiobooks through the Axis 360 app. Students may visit the library for a wide variety of reasons such as studying, computer usage, project collaboration, research, reading, or book checkout. The library staff is available to assist students with reading suggestions, research strategies, computer or printing needs, and online library resources.
How to Access Materials in the Library from Home
Here are some video links to help you access materials from the McMillen Library from home.
Check out the McMillen Library Website for more information, links, activities, and more!
McMillen High School Library Mission Statement
The mission of the McMillen Library is to ensure that all of our students are effective users of multiple literacies, including information, digital, visual, textual, and technological.
This mission is accomplished by...
- Supporting the reading needs and interests of our students as it is a lifelong learning skill that is a key indicator of success in school and in life;
- Developing independent learners through inquiry as it provides the framework for learning so students can function effectively in a complex information environment;
- By teaching students to seek diverse perspectives, gather and use information ethically, and use social tools responsibility and safely;
- Strengthening the use of technology as it is a valuable tool for learning, both in school and in life (AASL, 2007); and by
- Focusing on students' transliteracy skills when it comes to their "ability to read, write and interact across a range of platforms, tools and media from signing and orality through handwriting, print, TV, radio and film, to digital social networks" (www.transliteracy.com)
8:20 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. - Monday through Friday
- Visible ID required to enter library; sign-in required at circ desk
- Pass required to visit during class time
- Be engaged in productive work or a quiet activity
- Be respectful of staff, other students, library materials and equipment
- Cell phones should be on silent and used appropriately
- Food and drink should be consumed outside the library (water bottles are fine)
McMillen's Virtual Library is available 24/7-365 days a year to all students and staff. It is available without user name and password when on campus, but once off campus, a user name and password is required. Both are available in the Library.
Virtual Library URL: http://011.catalog.pisd.edu/