The following are the minimum technical requirements to enable you to successfully take a PISD eSchool course.
Basic computer skills are necessary to progress normally through your online courses. It is not necessary to be an expert, but a student must know how to use the basic capabilities of a computer:
- the keyboard and mouse and/or touchpad;
- access the Internet through various browsers;
- navigate websites; and
- open, close, and save files on your computer’s hard drive and Google Drive.
Note: Plano ISD students have a district-sponsored Google Drive. Non-Plano ISD students may need to create one.
- Students must have a working Internet connection.
Plano eSchool’s online courses are hosted on Blackboard. It is recommended that you have more than one browser available for your work on your eSchool course.
Blackboard is compatible with the following browsers:
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Edge
- Students must have an active, functioning email account with an appropriate email address. Some courses require students to have a Gmail account in order to access Google Drive. Mypisd email doesn’t function.
- Depending on the course, you will need to have the capability to create audio and/or video files.
- A printer is recommended, but not required. Printing course materials may enhance your eSchool experience, depending on your learning preferences.
Applications & Software
Applications & Software
In addition to Blackboard, other applications may be needed for successful completion of your eSchool course. If your course requires one of these applications, click the link to take you to the appropriate download site for your situation.
Word processing documents
In order to work through an eSchool course most efficiently, students should have access to Microsoft Office. If Microsoft Office is unavailable, use the following methods to open and view documents:
- Download free OpenOffice software.
- Open the document using Google Docs.
- Open the document on a Mac if you have Pages.
Microsoft PowerPoint Presentations
If you don’t have access to PowerPoint, you can open and view presentations using the following methods:
- PowerPoint Online extension in the Google Chrome Store.
- Open the presentation using Google Slides.
- Open the presentation on a Mac if you have Keynote.
Troubleshooting Your Course
Troubleshooting Your Course
Before you call for technical support, you may save time by doing some basic troubleshooting. Please read the problems and solutions below to help you determine if you need to call the help desk.
Problem: I signed up for an online course a couple of days ago and have not received any information yet. What do I do?
Solution: Please allow up to five business days for this information to be sent to you. If you have not received any information by day six, contact the eSchool office at 469-752-8894 during regular business hours 8:00am-5:
Problem: It has been five business days since I registered and I haven't received an email from eSchool or my teacher. What do I do?
Solution: Look for your "Welcome Letter/s" in your junk mail or spam folder. These emails will end in @pisd.edu. With the first email, there is an attachment that has all the information you need to log into your course. Your course teacher will follow up with an additional welcome email specifically related to the course.
Problem: I have looked in my email for a welcome email and can’t find it, what now?
Solution: Call the eSchool office at 469-752-8894 or email eSchool@pisd.edu and ask them to resend your welcome information.
Problem: I don’t know how to log into my course?
Solution: Everything you need to know to log into your course is in the welcome information sent from the eSchool office.
Log onto the course website:
- Enter your student’s username and password – [in each student’s welcome letter copied to you]
- Select the name of the course listed in the upper right of the screen
- Select Announcements on the left of the screen and follow the instructions.
Problem: I’m in Blackboard and the "navigation bar has disappeared”, what do I do? I can’t see any of my course tabs.
Solution: Look closely on the
left handside of the screen in Blackboard. You will see what looks like a small arrow head">". Click on the " arrow head" and your course tabs should be visible again.
Problem: I can’t find my grades in Blackboard?
- Select the course name listed in the upper right area of the screen.
- Select Tools on the left of the screen.
- Select My Grades.
Problem: I see where I have submitted several assignments in Blackboard, but I don't see the actual grade?
Solution: Continue working on your course and allow your teacher time to grade your coursework. Also, email your teacher to confirm that he/she has visibility of the work in Blackboard.
Problem: I have completed a unit and I need a password to take the quiz. How do I get passwords?
Solution: Email your teacher when you need a password. Please allow your teacher a minimum of 24 hours to respond to your request. While waiting, in most cases, you can start working on the next unit.
Problem: I cannot get my login password to work for the unit test/final exam?
Solution: Passwords are "case sensitive". Make sure you are typing the password exactly as your teacher sent it to you. If it still doesn't work, contact your teacher or the eSchool office at 469-752-8894.
Problem: I started a quiz and was unable to complete it. When I log back in to try and finish I am unable to access it. Who do I contact?
Solution: Email your teacher and explain what happened. Your teacher will make the decision when it comes to resetting tests. Also, please allow your teacher a minimum of 24 hours to respond. You can continue working on the next assignments while waiting for your teacher to respond.
Problem: I don’t know the password to "Safari, ABC Clio," etc... Where can I find this information?
Solution: Look in "Class Documents" for passwords.
Problem: I cannot get Safari to work? What should I do?
Solution: Check the "Free Downloads" to verify that you have downloaded what is needed. Make sure you have "signed into Safari" using the correct login. The information is case sensitive and needs to be typed "exactly" as it is in your information.
When DO I Call Technical Support/Help Desk?
Listed below are some examples of when you should call for Technical Support:
- If you’re having problems submitting your work through Blackboard.
- If there is a broken link within the course.
- Your computer is not allowing you to work through the assignment.
If you have a technical problem related to your course, contact the Help Desk:
- 469-752-8870, Monday-Friday, from 8:00am-5:00pm
- 972-672-8482, Monday-Friday, from 5:00pm-9:00pm
- 972-672-8482, Saturday and Sunday, from 2:00pm-6:00pm
If at all possible when speaking to technical support, you should be at your computer.
- Help Desk email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please leave a message as instructed. Failure to leave a message will only delay resolution to the issue you are having within the course.