7:40 - 8:10
AM Meeting (Calendar Time)
8:10 - 8:30
Morning Journal Writing
8:30 - 9:15
Language Arts - Whole Group/Stations
9:15 - 9:30
Morning Short Recess
9:30 - 10:00
Language Arts Stations
10:00 - 10:30
Math Whole Groups and Stations
Lunch and Recess
11:30 - 11:40
Quiet Reading / Rest Time
Math Whole Groups and Stations
12:10 - 12:50
Science and Social Studies + (Snack usually is at 12:30)
12:50 - 1:40
AMPED (Art, Music and PE Department)
1:40 - 2:30
Pack Up / Big Centers (Start cleaning at 2:30)
2:30 - 2:45
Dismissal (Be in the hallway by 2:38)
*Counselor on Tuesdays
*Library on Fridays
Please have your child bring an extra change of clothes to keep inside their locker.
Wearing tennis shoes is encouraged during Specials and on the playground.
Please always label all clothing items, including jackets.
Kindergarten Supply List
Kindergarten School Supplies 2022-2023
- 2 Crayola brand Crayons (24 colors)
- 1 Elmer School Glue (4 oz. bottle)
- 8 Glue Sticks (only Elmer’s Washable Purple Glue Stick)
- 1 pair of blunt scissors
- 12 pre-sharpened pencils (regular #2)
- 2 boxes facial tissues (200 count box)
- Construction paper 12 X 18 (80 sheets solid color package) Choose 2 colors: white, light green, bright blue, yellow, orange, red, purple
- 1 green plastic folder with pockets
- 1 clear plastic envelope folder(letter size)
- Washable watercolor markers (Crayola only please)
- Watercolor paint with brush
- Hand wipes (1 box) Not in tube.
- 2 large erasers
- Hand Sanitizer (8 oz.)
- 1 plastic school box
- 1 nylon pencil bag
- 2 Expo markers (black or colored)
- 1 box gallon size baggies
- 1 box quart size baggies
Dismissal and Attendance
If you know BEFORE school that there will be a change of dismissal, please send a teacher note in the morning or email the office so we are aware.
If you need to change plans AFTER your child is here, you have 2 choices:
- Call the front office, and they will tell the teacher –OR-
- E-mail the teacher, and cc: Christine.Sanchez@pisd.edu. She is our attendance secretary. That way in case the teacher misses it, Mrs. Sanchez will make sure that we know and then a green “change in dismissal” card will be sent to notify the teacher.
If your child is absent, please send a signed note with the reason for their absence or bring a doctor’s note (if you went to the doctor).
Take Home Folders
Each day your child will bring home a folder. Some days it will contain finished work. This is our way of transporting information from school to home and home to school, so please place any papers from home in this folder also. The students will bring their folder to an assigned place in the room and then at the end of the day place it back in their backpack. At home you may want to have an assigned place to keep this folder each night or after looking at it you may want your child to keep it in his/her backpack. This process will prepare them for their planner in the older grades. Please check the take home folders daily.
Attached below are Sight Words that your child will learn in kindergarten. Feel Free to go ahead and practice learning these words with your child.
Each morning we do snack time around 9am.
Your childs snack should be:
- a simple snack that is packaged separately from their lunch.
- The snack should be one that they can open easily and manage independently. Please no snacks that require a spoon or a fork.
- Your child may bring a bottle of water to class. Their name should be marked clearly on the water bottle to prevent your child's water from getting mixed up with that of another child.
Ideas for healthy snacks can be located on the Texas Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition website.
Kindergarten lunchtime is from 11:00-11:30. Students may bring their own lunch that is labeled, buy a lunch from the cafeteria, or do a combination of both. Each student will have their very own lunch code located on their ID badge. This is a number that is scanned or entered if your child buys anything from the lunch line.
If sending money to school for lunch, PTA purchases, book orders, etc., please place it in a sealed envelope with your child’s name and put it in your student’s take-home folder. Most of these purchases can be done online.
During the school day, the kindergarten students will have a 15 minute morning recess at 9:15, and then a 30 minute recess after lunch. Recess is usually outdoor play, if the weather permits.
Birthdays / "Star Student"
If your child is celebrating their birthday, their teacher will take the time to recognize their special day. If you wish to bring a treat for the whole class, they will be shared at the end of the day. Some examples of birthday treats are store bought cookies or donuts. Please no peanut butter treats. Please arrange this celebration with your child's teachers. Family is not allowed to come. This will just be for your child and their class.
Birthday invitations have to be handed out by students at non-academic times.
We will also be recognizing one student a week as our "Star Student". Every week a student will get to take Buddy Bear home to share all the adventures they had with him over the weekend. Then on Monday, they will show the class binder with all of the pictures they took with Buddy Bear. This binder will be shared again when they are in 5th grade to remember all the fun adventures they had in kindergarten. The Star Student will also get to do show and tell.
Kindergarten will be going on the following field trips this year:
· First field trip will be in the Fall sponsored by PTA.
· The Outdoor Learning Center will be in the Spring
We will send more information closer to the field trip dates.
In order to volunteer at the school any person must complete a background check form. Please do this now if you think you may ever want to chaperone or help with anything at the school. The more the merrier!
Types of Volunteers include:
- Room Parents
- Workroom helpers
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Watch Dog Dads
- Fine Arts Day presenters or helpers
All volunteers must sign in at the front office.
Please ask for more information if you are interested. You are welcome!
Social Media OpportunitiesKindergarten has an Instagram page and we would like for you to follow us! We are only allowing parents or guardians to follow our page.
If you have an Instagram page, please send your username to your child’s teacher to gain access to our private page.
The kindergarten grade page is called "Hedgcoxe2035" and we can't wait for you to see the pictures that we post on our page!
Instagram Username: Hedgcoxe2035
2022-2023 School Year Calendar:
August 10: First Day of School
September 2-5: Student Holiday
October 10-11: Student Holiday
November 21-25: Thanksgiving Break
December 16: Last Day of first Semester
December 19–January 3: Winter Break
January 4: Start of Second Semester
January 16: Student Holiday
February 20: Student Holiday
March 6–13: Spring Break
April 6-10: Student Holiday
April 24: Student Holiday
May 26: Last Day of School (Early Release)