Welcome to the Murphy Middle School Library! As a middle school student you may use the library for book exchange, research, homework assistance, as a reading space, and more. The library is open during the school day to study, read, check out and return books, and more. I am so glad you are visiting! This website is meant to be a 24/7 access to information about the library, its programs, and its resources. I am here to serve you and welcome questions and suggestions.
-Ms. Spence, Librarian
Library Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 7:50 AM - 4:00 PM
Check out our new books below - place a hold or come by the library today!
Book Pickup for @Home Students
The current days/times for book pickup are:
Mondays - 5th period 12:55 – 1:35 pm
Thursdays - 6th period 1:50 - 2:30 pm
Fridays - 3rd period 10:15 - 11 am
Library book pick up update beginning 10/26:
Now that we have our outdoor book drop, library books for @home students who have placed holds and filled out the google form will be waiting for you outside on top of the book drop during your chosen time period. We do not want to leave books unattended for extended periods of time, so the books will only be out there during the time slot you have selected. If you do not pick up your books by the end of that time, they will be returned to the library. Please only take the books with your/your student's name. If you know you will be unable to pick up your books, just send Ms. Spence an email and let her know when you can come so the books will be ready for you. Please contact Ms. Spence if you have any questions. email@example.com, 469 752 7028.
We now have an outdoor bookdrop! Feel free to drop your library books off any time to the book drop located outside the front entrance if you are an @Home student. F2F students, please use the book drop locations adjacent to the library itself.
Check out some of the AWESOME books our MMS 6th graders recommend!
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the library open? During in person school, the library is open from 7:50-4:00 pm.
- When can I come to the library? Students can come to the library anytime between 7:50 am - 4:00 pm as long as it is to read, checkout books, work on projects, study, be a part of a class, or participate in a club/library event. Students coming during classtime need a pass unless their teacher is with them.
- How many items can I check out and when are they due? 5 books at a time for a 2-week period.
- How do I return the books? If you are a Face to Face student, you may drop them in the hallway book drop any time, or in the inside book drop when the library is open. If you a Remote learner, you may drop books off with the front office any time during normal school hours, or you may return them to Ms. Spence during the curbside checkout times listed above. We will have an outdoor book drop coming soon!
- Can I check out magazines? Yes! You may take one magazine at a time for no more than one week. This is on an honor sysem. There is no barcode to scan. Please return so that others can enjoy the magazine as well. If we find students are not returning magazines, we will have to discontinue this practice.
- How do I see what books are available in the library? Use our online library catalog to search for books in the Murphy Middle School library.
- Can I place a book on hold? Yes, you place up to 5 books on hold by logging into the catalog system. Click here to learn how to place a hold.
- What if I have an overdue item? We do not charge late fees, however, you must return overdue items before new items can be checked out. School Messenger phone messages go out to parents to remind you.
- What if my book is lost or damaged? You will need to pay for a lost or damaged book using cash or our new online payment system, coming soon. Please contact Ms. Spence if you think your book is lost or damaged.
- Can I suggest new books for the library? Yes! There is an online suggestion box on our library Google classroom page here.
- How can I do research from home? Use the online research tools here from Plano ISD.
- How can I read eBooks from home? Use Axis360 and login with your regular username and password.
- How can I get books while we are in online school? Place a request using curbside checkout! Watch the tutorial video here, then place a hold online and submit the curbside request form.
- Are the books from the library safe? Yes! All newly returned books to the library are held in a 7 day quarantine before being checked in and shelved or given to students, and all library staff handle books with masks and gloves.
- What if I need help? Ask Ms. Spence! Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 469 752 7028.