Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Linda Holman
Rice Middle School Attendance Guidelines
Absences: A parent/guardian should call the student absence line to report a student absence.
- Call 469-752-6000
- Choose Option 1 for English, or Option 2 for Spanish
- Next, press Option 3 to leave a message
- Leave the student's name, student's ID#, reason for absence, date of absence, and who is reporting the absence.
Parent Notes: Parent note or doctor's note is required to excuse an absence. We allow you 3 days after the absence to turn in a note in order to receive an excused absence. The note should include the student's name, reason for absence, date(s) of absence, and parent/guardian signature. Please note that e-mails DO NOT substitute for a parent note received in the office.
- A doctor's note is required if absent for 5 consecutive days.
- Planned absence(s) such as vacations and trips are considered unexcused.
- In order for the student to make-up and receive credit for work assigned during an unexcused absence, the student must submit to the principal, at least one week in advance, a written notification of the planned absence (Student Absence Request form).
- When no prior notice is given, students shall receive a zero for all work assigned during the absence (PISD Policy FDD/Local).
- Partial day absences for medical appointments will not be recorded as an absence, if a doctor's note is received upon return to school.
- To receive an excused absence for a Religious Holiday/Observance, written notification must be submitted to the principal one week prior to the absence (PISD Policy FDD/Local).
Leaving school ill: If a student becomes ill at school, he/she should go to the clinic to see the nurse. The nurse will contact parents. The student must sign out through the front office before leaving. Send a note with your student when he/she returns to school.
Late arrivals and early releases: Students must sign in and out at the main office. Failure to sign in or out is considered a violation of attendance policy.
Doctor appointments: If your student must leave early for a doctor's appointment, please send a note with him/her to school so that we can release him/her from class in a timely manner. Upon returning to school, please send or bring an official doctor's note verifying the appointment.
Other absences: Non-school activities must be pre-approved by the building principal in order for the student to make-up missing work. You may obtain the Student Absence Request form that needs to be completed and turned in before the absence from the attendance clerk. These absences are considered unexcused with make-up work allowed.