Degrees and Certifications:

Dr. Sandra H. Franklin

I am the Academic Specialist for Jasper High School.

You can reach me by email at: and

by phone at: 469-752-7530



  • Working with teachers and students throughout the day.

  • What is 504? 

    504 prevents any entity that receives money from the federal government from discriminating against individuals with disabilities solely on the basis of their disability.  Section 504 is a civil rights law that prevents qualified individuals with disabilities from being treated unequally in comparison to the majority population.   

    Who is eligible? 

    A student has a disability if they have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. 

    504 defines physical or mental impairment as physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems: 

    Neurological, Musculoskeletal, Special sense organ, Respiratory, including speech organs, Cardiovascular, Reproductive, Digestive, genitourinary, Hemic and Lymphatic, Skin, Endocrine, any mental or psychological disorder.   

    Major life Activities include: eating, sleeping, lifting standing, bending, reading, concentrating, thinking, communication, writing, social interaction and all major body functions/systems. 

    Examples that may qualify: 

    Dyslexia, Learning Disability, Anxiety, Depression, Concussion, Diabetes, ADHD, Celiac disease, or IBS  


    We want to make sure that a student with a disability has an even playing field against their nondisabled peers.  

    Child Find is required by all district personnel that work in the school system.   If a teacher, counselor or staff member are made aware of a disability they will refer that student to the Academic Specialists. 

    What is the process: 

    The Academic Specialist is given a referral for the student 

    The Academic Specialist will obtain consent for services.  A consent will be given to the parents or the adult student.  A student who is 18 years of age is consider an adult student for 504.  

    The Academic Specialist may reach out to the parents, teachers and student to obtain information.  Academic Specialist may ask for the diagnosis or documentation of the impairment for the student.  

    The Academic Specialist will schedule a 504 meeting.  The 504 committee includes 3 knowing personnel. Parents and students may attend the 504 meeting however they are not a required member of the committee.  

    If the committee agrees that the student needs accommodations the Academic Specialist will share this information with the student’s teachers, counselor, sub-school principal, and any other school personnel needed to implement their plan.  

    A 504 review will be held every 3 years.   

    Who to contact for questions:

    Sandra Franklin –