Link to the "College Application Instructions" Handout- Quick Reference guide for requesting transcripts, completing applications, financial aid, testing and recommendation letters
The college admissions process can be an overwhelming task without careful planning and attention. Requests for transcripts, teacher and counselor recommendations and meeting the application deadlines are just some of the issues dealt with during the already hectic senior year. Our dedicated staff works diligently in assisting students with their goals for after they graduate from Plano Senior High School.
College Planning Calendar
Your Junior Year:
- Attend College & Financial Aid Nights.
- Take the PSAT.
- Log in to Naviance and use the SuperMatch feature to research colleges.
- Develop your list of potential colleges and majors.
- Be well rounded and get involved!
- Go on college visits.
- Discuss college and career goals at your Academic Conference.
- Take the SAT or ACT in Spring.
Your Senior Year:
- Narrow down your college list to the schools you will be applying to.
- Take the SAT Subject Tests, if needed.
- Re-take the SAT/ACT, if needed.
- Check college deadlines carefully and complete applications well in advance.
- Fill out your Counselor Recommendation Packet (The Blue Packet) if needed.
- Complete the FAFSA.
- Attend College on-campus Preview Days.
Naviance is a college and career planning website that Plano ISD uses as part of the admissions process. Students can use it to research schools, majors and careers in addition to a variety of other resources. They also need to use it to request transcripts and recommendation letters. Please see the Naviance section in the menu to the left for more information.
Requesting a Transcript
For information about transcripts, go to the Registrar's Page.
Requesting a Counselor/ Teacher Recommendation
Link to the Blue Packet- Students requiring a Counselor Recommendation will need to complete the Blue Packet and submit it to their counselor at least 3 weeks before the Recommendation Letter is due.
Students needing a Teacher Recommendation must first ask the teacher IN PERSON if he/she is willing to write the rec letter. If so, the student needs to then send the teacher a recommendation request through their Naviance account. However, some schools (such as UT and Texas A&M) require letter be submitted directly to them. Ask your counselor if you’re unsure how to submit recommendation letters.
Submitting the Application
- Add the schools you’re applying to to the Naviance “Colleges I’m applying to” list.
- Request transcripts through the Registrar’s office.
- Complete the application using ApplyTexas, The Common App, or the school’s individual application website.
- Submit ACT, SAT or TSI scores to the school (these are NOT on your transcript!)
- Apply for Financial Aid as needed.
- Make sure you are meeting both admission and financial aid deadlines.
The Activities Resume is an informal part of your application. The purpose of the activities resume is to highlight personal achievements and provide admissions officers with information about you that is not included on the academic transcript. Below is a Sample Activities Resume to help guide you as you put your own together.
Link to Activities Resume