History of Williams Stadium
In the 1950s, the School Board purchased the site of a future school and stadium, Williams High and Williams Field, which opened in the early 1960s (as Plano High).
About the Namesake
Williams honors teacher, principal, and coach Thomas Howard "Bill" Williams (1906-1992), who gave nearly half a century of service to Collin County schools. He was principal at several rural schools before coming to the old Plano High (now the Cox Building) in 1936, where he taught math and was assistant coach. Williams was head coach from 1943 to 1953, leading his teams to several district and state titles. In 1953 he was named Plano High principal and PISD business manager in 1968, retiring in 1976. Williams High is the former Plano High School, built in 1961 for $993,590 and renamed for Bill Williams after Plano Senior High opened in 1975. It's had several additions, the first in 1970 and the gym built in 1975; the most recent renovation in 1989 added 37,000 swaure feet to the facility.
T.H. Williams was a longtime teacher, coach and principal in Plano ISD before having the district's first high school named in his honor.