Community Input Requested
The Plano ISD Board of Trustees and district leadership team have begun planning to set the vision for the next five to ten years in a long range plan. The great work of the last Strategic Planning group resulted in a mission, vision, beliefs and strategic pillars that we will continue to use in the coming years. In December 2022, the board launched the first phase of the work with a curation meeting, and through that work, has provided input on their topics of interest for the district to explore further.
That brings us to phase 2 of the planning process. During this phase, many voices are needed to help us define our path forward. We have focus work groups in the areas of Career & Technical Education which will include establishing the vision for the future CTE center that was generously approved by voters in the bond; Academic Programming which includes advanced academics, multilingual, special education and gifted programming; Instructional Technology which will involve developing a Digital Learning Plan; and Operational Visioning Groups that will explore facility needs along with other operational needs.
While these groups have been working, Plano ISD has been hosting a variety of meetings to gather input from staff and the community.If you have been unable to attend one of those community or staff meetings, you may use the links on this page to submit your feedback for consideration. This input will be summarized and reviewed by the administration and the Board of Trustees as they determine the final outcomes for our 2023-2028 Strategic Plan in Phase 3 of this work.
Please use our thought questions and the links provided on this page and lend your voice to this process. We look forward to hearing from you.
Career & Technical Education (CTE) Visioning
Career & Technical Education programs help prepare students for their future through challenging academic standards and relevant technical knowledge and skills for current and emerging professions. The Plano ISD community recently approved a bond proposition that included the development of a CTE center which will help us expand programs and opportunities for our students. The Board and district administration would like input as we plan the future of Career & Technical Education programs for students across the district.
- What educational experiences shaped your future that you would like to see available for Plano ISD students?
- What are your hopes and dreams for your children/the students as we plan for the future?
- What areas or programs of study do you believe should be offered to prepare Plano ISD students for future career/life success in our community?
- What forward-thinking ideas do you have for Plano ISD as we plan for the new CTE center and for the future of CTE programs across the district?
- Should advanced CTE courses carry a weighted GPA? (advanced courses are typically 2-3 hour courses)
- What additional input would you like the Trustees and district administration to consider when planning for the future related to CTE programming?
The Board of Trustees and district administration are committed to excellence and have identified a few areas for review in the next strategic roadmap. Related to academics, the topics of special education (identification and services), multilingual services (program availability), and advanced academics (dual credit, math rocks, etc.), the Board and administration would like to hear from the community about their children’s educational needs and their hopes and dreams for future academic programming..
- What are your academic hopes and dreams for your children/the students in Plano ISD?
- What would you like to see revised or considered related to academic programs and services? (special education, multilingual services, and/or advanced academics)
- What academic opportunities are available for students in other districts that you would like to see in Plano ISD?
- Are there educational opportunities for students that current district facilities don’t support?
- Should more high school courses be offered to Middle School students who are academically ready?
- Should all college-credit bearing courses be given equal weight for GPA calculations? (AP, IB, Dual Credit)
- What additional feedback/comments would you like the Trustees and district administration to consider when planning for the future related to academic programming?
As the district makes plans to refresh technology over the next few years, it will be important to update the guidance for classroom/instructional use of both hardware and software. The Board and district administration would like feedback related to instructional technology hardware, software, and use of technology in the classroom.
- What technology skills do you see as the most important for your child to learn and apply?
- What skills do you want to see every Plano ISD graduate have related to technology and technology-related tools?
- What technology skills and tools do you use most in your personal life and/or professional work? How do you think students can best learn those skills?
- What technology tools do you believe are important for students to use now and in their future?
- What additional feedback would you like to provide related to instructional technology and future planning?
Portrait of a Graduate
Plano ISD has developed a Portrait of a Graduate that includes the attributes we want our students to develop and master as they move through Plano ISD classrooms. As part of our planning for the future, we will continue to develop this Portrait of a Graduate by defining learner profiles for each grade level. For that work, the Board and administration would like your feedback.
- How important do you think the attributes are for every graduate in Plano ISD?
- Which of the attributes have been most important for you in your personal and/or professional life?
- What ideas do you have for Plano ISD as we develop these attributes in students?
- What additional ideas do you have for Plano ISD as we define learner profiles for each grade level to foster and develop the Portrait of a Graduate attributes?