The Plano ISD School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) is an advisory group whose members include parents, students, teachers, staff members and diverse community representation. The group acts collectively to provide advice to the school district on all aspects of the school health program.
The council’s duties include recommending the number of hours of instruction to be provided in health education, and reviewing curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, and Type 2 diabetes. The council’s duties also include reviewing and recommending methods of instruction for human sexuality in appropriate grade levels. In addition, the council can review and recommend coordinated school health strategies for integrating appropriate curriculum components through the following: 1) health education, 2) physical education, 3) physical activity, 4) nutrition services, 5) parental involvement, 6) school health service, 7) counseling and guidance services, 8) employee wellness, and 9) a safe and healthy school environment. The board of trustees may direct the committee to study and make recommendations on specific issues. [TEC 28.004(e)
- Research the issue of self-injury as it relates to the wellness and safety of our students.
- Identify best practices in reporting mechanisms that support student safety and wellness (i.e., relating to bullying and drugs)
- September 11, 2017 from 6 - 8 p.m.
- November 6, 2017 from 6 - 8 p.m.
- January 29, 2018 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. or from 6 - 8 p.m. (meeting time to be confirmed after survey of attendees)
- March 26, 2018 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. or from 6 - 8 p.m. (meeting time to be confirmed after survey of attendees)
Meetings will be held at the Administration Center, room 311.