Plano ISD Board of Trustees Approves 2023-2024 Academic Calendar
The 2023-24 Plano ISD Academic Calendar was approved by the Board of Trustees during their meeting on Tuesday, December 6. The calendar features a start date of Wednesday, August 9, 2023, and an end date of Friday, May 24, 2024.
The new calendar includes 10 additional instructional minutes per day to allow for the following:
- Banked minutes (up to three days) for any unforeseen school closures, such as inclement weather
- An additional teacher/student holiday
Other new calendar features include:
- A full week fall break for students
- A three-day fall break for campus staff (returning Thursday and Friday for staff days)
- Professional Learning Trade Days in December and February (rather than during the week of Thanksgiving)
- A winter break that provides more balance between the two semesters and aligns with neighboring school districts
- Spring break during the second full week of March (March 11-15), which aligns with neighboring school districts
Many factors were considered during the calendar development period, which included establishing parameters based on new and historical input from stakeholder groups (parents, students, campus and district administrators, teachers and community members). The administration provided updates, shared multiple calendar options and sought input from the Board of Trustees during three board meetings on October 18, November 1 and November 15. The final calendar, approved December 6, aligns with the following parameters:
- Length of the required school day/instructional minutes (75,600 minutes)
- Two semesters with a similar number of instructional days (while considering local, state and national testing in the spring)
- Mid-week start for first semester
- Exam/testing calendars (district, state, PSAT, AP and IB)
- Alignment with dual credit/Collin College
- Alignment with neighboring school districts
- Planning/professional learning time for teachers
- Fall break consideration
- School sites as election polling locations (student holiday)
- Week off at Thanksgiving for students and campus staff
- Professional learning trade days scheduled outside of Thanksgiving week
- End first semester before winter break
- Two full weeks for winter break
- Professional learning day for campus staff following winter break
- Later spring break
- Banked minutes for unforeseen school closures such as inclement weather
- End school before Memorial Day
Revised School Hours for All Campuses
Early Childhood Schools
- Beaty, Isaacs, Pearson and Head Start
- 7:55 a.m. to 3:10 p.m.
- Grades PK/K-5
- 7:40 a.m. to 2:55 p.m.
- Grades 6-8
- 8:25 a.m. to 3:40 p.m.
High/Senior High Schools
- Grades 9-12
- 9:00 a.m. to 4:25 p.m.
Academy High School
- 9:20 a.m. to 4:40 p.m.
Solomon Adult Transition Center
- 9:45 a.m. to 3:55 p.m.
- Grades K-5
- 7:40 a.m. to 2:55 p.m.
- Grades 6-12
- 8:30 a.m. to 3:55 p.m.