Hickey Elementary School
Assistant Principal: Amanda Hudson
Counselor: Michele Allen
School Hours: 7:40 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
School Colors: Red, white and blue
Mascot: All stars
Motto: Hickey Elementary where all stars shine.
Year Opened: 2002
Phone: (469) 752-4100
Fax: (469) 752-4101
4100 Coldwater Creek
Plano, TX 75074
- PTA National School of Excellence (2018-2020)
- 2014 CREST award winner, Michele Allen (Counselors Reinforcing Excellence for Students)
- Grant for PE from the Plano Chapter of the Awesome Foundation
- Five Plano ISD Education Foundation Grants in 2014, six in 2015 and five in 2016
- Healthy Zone Schools Grant recipient (2016-18) from the United Way and the Cooper Institute
- First place winner, Regional Science Fair, 2015 (fifth-grade)
- Regional and Texas winner of the National Poison Prevention Poster Contest for 2015
- Regional award of Excellence for Photography for PTA Reflections Contest
- Two Martin Luther King, Jr., Tribute Original Writing winners
- AVID campus beginning 2015-16 school year
- Active Watch D.O.G.S (Dads of Great Students) program
- Physical Education "Heathly Zone" school
Plano Academic Creative Education (PACE) program for identified gifted and talented students; PASAR (after-school childcare); student council; Chess club; All Star Announcers; Environmental club; AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination).
Parent Involvement Opportunities
Active Parent Teacher Association (PTA); volunteer opportunities in the classrooms, library and office; Watch D.O.G.S (Dads of Great Students).
History of Hickey
Loreta Hickey was born in Prosper and attended North Texas State University; graduating in 1948 with honors. Her major was Home Economics. She later continued her education at Texas Woman's University, receiving a Master's Degree in Education & Supervision in 1975. She pursued postgraduate courses at East Texas State University in Vocational Education.
Her first teaching position was in Denison as a Home Economics teacher. A few years later she married Jim Hickey and moved to Dallas where she accepted a teaching position in Plano in 1952. She served on the committee to plan Williams High School and Plano Senior High School. She taught at Plano Senior High School for two years and then moved on to work with Superintendent Hendricks.
Hickey became the Vocational Supervisor for Vocational, Homemaking and Business teachers. She later was named Vocational Director and was over the program we now call Career Education. During her last year with Plano ISD she filled in as Assistant Superintendent. In July 1992, Hickey retired after 40 years of service to Plano ISD.