Wilson Middle School
School Hours: 8:25 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
School Colors: Green and white
Motto: Build the relationship - Bridge the gap!
Year Opened: 1970
Phone: (469) 752-6700
Fax: (469) 752-6701
1001 Custer Road
Plano, TX 75075
U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon School award; Texas Successful Schools award; Plano ISD Education Foundation Grants to Educators winners; Regional Mock Trial (first and second place); Whiz Quiz - first place district (seventh-grade); UIL Sweepstakes award: band, orchestra and choir; Plano Teacher of the Year (1992, 2001); Plano Beginning Teacher of the Year (1994, 2000); Perot award for Excellence in Teaching (1993-95, 2003); Teacher of the Year Finalist (1998-99, 2003, 2006); Texas Monthly "Just For the Kids" Honor Roll School (2001-02, 2004-05); district awards for Teacher Excellence (2009); Meadows Foundation Grant (2008-09); Outstanding Secondary PTA of the Year (2009); Environmental Community awards; Outstanding Secondary Environmental Awareness group; Outstanding Campus Beautification award; School Recycling Incentive award - second place (2008); Destination Imagination forth place Global competition (2010); Destination Imagination first place global competition (2011); and WFAA Project Green award (2014).
Student Council; yearbook; National Junior Honor Society; National Junior Thespians Society; HOPE (Helping Other Peers Excel); spanish club; KEYSS; Whiz Quiz; Tournament Prep; art club; gardening club; Go Green Environmental program; President's Education awards program; Parent Connection program; AP Spanish for native speakers; Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID); and Gateway to Technology.
History of Wilson
Wilson is named after "Miss Ammie" Wilson (1880-1972), whose Plano farm is now a historical museum. Wilson, a socialite, was nearly blinded by cataracts and lost her only child while still young. This prompted her to turn her interests towards raising livestock, which she soon became well-known for in shows; she also became a member of the Purebred Sheep Breeder Association of Texas.
Wilson Middle school opened in 1970 as an elementary school housing students from first through the eighth grades, though it was later changed to a middle school.