LOTE Parent Letter
An application for Credit by Exam (CBE) can be obtained from your child’s guidance counselor. All information must be completed before the application can be processed. The form must be signed by the parent or guardian. Return this form to your child’s campus counselor or principal.
Application for CBE Acceleration Only:
Students’ application will be to accelerate the complete
Select a test date out of the dates given.
Students may take a Credit by Exam for acceleration purposes during any of the four testing periods. However, the following restrictions apply:
Students may only attempt acceleration two times for the same course.
- Placement in a new course will only occur at the start of a school year (or semester for semester courses) regardless of when a CBE for acceleration is taken.
For Languages other than English:
Students may earn multiple credits on one assessment. Student performance will only be reviewed to award credit for the courses listed on the application. Technology Note: Plano ISD uses Windows 10 operative systems on-screen keyboard. Please refer to the Writing Input Guide linked on https://avantassessment.com/stamp4s/writing-input-guide
For credit with no prior instruction, the following guidelines must apply:
- Application for Credit by Examination must be completed with a campus counselor.
- Parent or guardian gives written approval for acceleration by signing the application.
- The student scores 80% or above on the Credit-by-Exam assessment administered.
For credit with prior instruction (or Credit Recovery):
To participate in the Credit-by-Exam with prior instruction, the student must have been enrolled in a formal course as evidenced by:
- A transcript from an accredited or non-accredited institution or
- Other documentation that establishes evidence of a formal course
- A syllabus listing daily assignments
- An explanation of the time parameters of the course
- Documentation of the student’s performance throughout the course
- Documentation of alignments to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills
- The student scores 70% or above on the Credit-by-Exam assessment administered.
The following information applies to credit and scores earned through Credit by Exam:
- No grade points are awarded for grades earned through Credit-by-Exam. Only course credit can be earned.
- Units of credit and grades earned through Credit-by-Exam shall be recorded on the permanent academic record for grades 6-12 but will not be included in the calculations of GPA or rank-in-class. Scores below the required minimum for credit will not be posted.
- There is no testing for honors, AP or IB designated courses.
- In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, we are unable to release results over the phone. A copy of the score report will be mailed to the parent, school counselor and school registrar.
- If the student passes the CBE exam, the student must accept the credit and proceed to the next class placement. A student may NOT forfeit credit and sit for a class they have passed the CBE in.
Credit-by-Exam Course Syllabi (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills covered):
Course objectives for available Credit-by-Exam subjects may be found on the district website: https://www.pisd.edu/Page/1332
Applications must be submitted to your counselor by 4:00 p.m. on the date of the application deadline. Applications will not be accepted if they are received after 4:00 p.m.
Testing Location and Time:
Letters regarding testing location and time will be sent out 2-3 weeks prior to the testing date. If you have not received a notice one week before the testing date and you have filed an application prior to the deadline, please call the Department of Assessment Research and Program Evaluation at 469-752-8703.
Questions concerning the courses for which your child may test, how the grade is recorded and how the grade will affect his/her schedule should be addressed to the student’s counselor.