2019‐20 Math Texas Tech Credit‐By‐Examination
(Algebra II, Geometry, PreCalculus)
An application for Credit by Exam (CBE) can be obtained from your child’s guidance counselor. Please complete all information on the application by printing in dark blue or black ink. Please do not use a pencil. All information must be completed before the application can be processed. The form must be signed by the parent or guardian. Return this form to your child’s campus counselor or principal.
Application for Credit Recovery Only:
Include each semester needed (e.g., 1 & 2) for each course on the application.
In the column for Test Date, separate test dates should be selected for each individual semester. Two semesters may not be taken on the same date.
Students may take a Credit by Exam for acceleration purposes during any of the four testing periods. However, the following restrictions apply:
- Students must complete and earn credit for all prerequisite courses before attempting Credit by Exam for the next course in sequence.
- Students may only attempt acceleration two times for the same semester.
- Placement in a new course will only occur at the start of a school year regardless of when a CBE for acceleration is taken.
- If a student does not earn credit for both semesters by the beginning of the new school year, the student cannot enroll in the next course until the following school year.
- Questions concerning the courses for which your child may test, how the grade is recorded and how the grade will affect his/her schedule should be addressed to the student’s counselor.
Texas Tech exams are given in two parts: Semester 1 and Semester 2. Students must earn credit for both to accelerate to the next course.
- Students will take the fall semester CBE on November 9, 2019. (3 Hour exam)
- If the student passes the fall semester CBE on November 9, 2019, the student will then take the spring semester CBE on January 11, 2020.
- However: if the student does not pass the fall semester CBE the student may take both the fall and spring semester tests (6-hour exam) on January 11, 2020.
- If the student does not pass both semesters of the course prior to the beginning of the school year, the student will not be placed in the next Math course due to the prerequisite course not being completed with a passing score.
- If the student only passes one semester - the student will take an elective course during the semester for which credit was earned, and will attend the course for the semester for which credit was not earned.
For credit with no prior instruction the following guidelines must apply:
- Application for Credit by Examination must be completed with a campus counselor.
- Parent or guardian must provide written approval for acceleration by signing the application.
- The student must score 80% or above on the Credit‐by‐Exam assessment administered.
For credit with prior instruction (or Credit Recovery):
To participate in the Credit‐by‐Exam with prior instruction, the student must have been enrolled in a formal course as evidenced by:
- A transcript from an accredited or non‐accredited institution or
- Other documentation that establishes evidence of a formal course
- A syllabus listing daily assignments
- An explanation of the time parameters of the course
- Documentation of the student’s performance throughout the course, and
- Documentation of alignments to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills
- The student scores 70% or above on the Credit‐by‐Exam assessment administered.
The following information applies to credit and scores earned through Credit by Exam:
- No grade points are awarded for grades earned through Credit‐by‐Exam. Only course credit can be earned.
- Units of credit and grades earned through Credit‐by‐Exam shall be recorded on the permanent academic record for grades 6‐12 but will not be included in the calculations of GPA or rank‐in‐class.
- Scores below the required minimum for credit will not be posted.
- Students are not allowed to forfeit the Credit‐by Exam credit. Once the credit is earned, students cannot sit in the course for any reason, including for local credit or because of low performance in the subsequent course.
- There is no testing for honors‐, AP‐ or IB‐designated courses.
- In accordance with FERPA (the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), we are unable to release results over the phone. A copy of the score report will be mailed to the parent, school counselor and school registrar.
Credit‐by‐Exam Course Syllabi (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills covered):
Course objectives for available Credit‐by‐Exam subjects may be found on the district website: https://www.pisd.edu/Page/1332
Applications must be submitted to your counselor by 4:00 p.m. on the date of the application deadline. Applications will not be accepted if they are received after 4:00 p.m.
Testing Location and Time:
Note: For the Texas Tech CBEs students are given 3 hours to complete each semester’s examination.
Letters regarding testing location and time will be sent out 2‐3 weeks prior to the testing date.
If you have not received a notice one week before the testing date and you have filed an application prior
to the deadline, please call the Department of Assessment and Accountability at 469‐752‐8703
Student Name: _______________________________________
Parent Signature: _____________________________________ Date: _________________________