High School Credit By Exam for Advancement
Credit By Examination Without Prior Instruction
High school students who wish to earn credit for a course in which they have had no prior formal instruction may test through credit by exam. Students must demonstrate 80% or higher mastery on the exam in order to earn credit. Students are encouraged to review the course objectives and exam specifications provided in the subject links listed below.
Examination dates are scheduled during January, June, July and November. Applications are available from the school counselor and must be returned to the counselor for processing. The application deadlines are listed on the Test Calendar. Parents should be aware that there are no exceptions available for students to test at other times and should plan summer vacation schedules accordingly.
There is no charge for the testing for Plano ISD students. The results will be mailed to the parents, counselor and registrar after the scoring is completed. No information on the test results can be provided over the telephone or by email because of privacy laws.
Credit By Examination With Prior Instruction
- To participate in the Credit-by-Exam with prior instruction, the student must have been enrolled in a formal course as evidenced by:
- A transcript from an accredited or non-accredited institution or
- Other documentation that establishes evidence of a formal course
- A syllabus listing daily assignments
- An explanation of the time parameters of the course
- Documentation of the student’s performance throughout the course
- Documentation of alignments to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills
- The student scores 70% or above on the Credit-by-Exam assessment administered.
How to Apply
- Application must be made through the school counselor.
- Students may complete applications any time during the year, but must meet the application deadlines established for each testing session. CBE Deadlines are listed below.
- Parents should carefully read through the 2016-2017 Parent Letter for additional information about the CBE Process.
Students who apply for Credit By Examination are strongly encouraged to begin preparing for the exams as soon as possible. Students need to apply for Credit By Examination as soon as they are aware of the need or desire to test because they may need to know the results in time to make other plans to earn the credit if they are not successful on the Credit By Exam. Students who need to test several courses are encouraged to begin testing with core subjects such as English and Mathematics.
Students who are new to Plano ISD may test over the summer prior to starting their first year in PISD. They must first register at their new school and be assigned a PISD ID number. Students who are new to PISD and test during the summer will not receive score reports until the school year has begun and the student is attending a PISD school.
All tests are district developed and are based on the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). You will find the textbook in use in the district and a link to the TEKS on each subject we page.
Students may take a Credit by Exam for acceleration purposes during any of the four testing periods. However, the following restrictions apply:
- Placement in a new course will only occur at the start of a school year (or semester for semester courses) regardless of when a CBE for acceleration is taken
- Students may only attempt acceleration two times for the same course
Application Deadlines and Testing Information
HS Acceleration Additional Resources
*Mathematics Credit by Exams come from Texas Tech University ISD
Languages other than English
- American Sign Language I
- American Sign Language II
- Chinese - Simplified