Qualifications for Testing
The Texas Education Agency mandates that school districts establish their own process for grade-level acceleration. The Kindergarten Acceleration Program for Plano ISD tests students wishing to skip Kindergarten and be placed directly into first-grade. In order to qualify for Kindergarten Acceleration, the student must meet these qualifications:
- The student must be five years of age on or before September 1, 2021.
- The student must be registered for Kindergarten for the 2021-2022 school year in the Plano Independent School District.
If both of these qualifications are met, then a parent/guardian may request that his/her child test for placement in first-grade. To determine whether testing and possible placement in first-grade are the best options, parents, students and staff should consider the following:
- The academic rigor of first grade
- Social and emotional impact
- Effect of skipping a grade level on the student’s overall educational experience
Plano ISD strongly encourages all learners to participate in Kindergarten due to the social, developmental, emotional and academic benefits this grade level provides.
About the Kindergarten Acceleration Test
In order to advance to first-grade, the student must score 90% or above on the district approved assessments in Reading, Writing, and Math. These assessments measure cognitive development and academic skills that are appropriate for students completing Kindergarten.
- Test content is based on the Kindergarten Math Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills.
- For Math and Reading, students are tested on the computer using Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) software. Writing is assessed through a series of one to one activities which require the students to demonstrate an understanding of the writing process.
- MAP Practice Test
(To access the practice test you must use Google Chrome)
Username: grow Password: grow
Results and Acceleration
Results will be sent to the principal of the school where the student is registered. The principal will contact you directly regarding your student’s test scores. The Credit by Exam office will not give out any information regarding the results of Kindergarten Acceleration testing.
If your child is recommended for acceleration, it will be on a probationary basis. Should the school or teacher feel it is in the best interest of the child to be placed back in Kindergarten you will be contacted.
Deadline and Parent Information
Parents/Guardians must contact their elementary school counselor for information on the Kinder Acceleration process. The deadlines for Kindergarten Acceleration requests must be made by the deadline listed in the calendar below.
- All request must be received by 4:00 p.m. on the Deadline Date.
- The counselor will notify you of the specific testing date and times.
Assessment, Research and Program Evaluation