Plano ISD Languages Other Than English
Credit by Exam Information: Italian
1.0 per Level (I – IV) *Grade is not calculated in the Grade Point Average (GPA)
Students may earn up to four credits of LOTE based on the proficiency benchmark level reported.
The Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Languages Other Than English defines course proficiency outcomes as:
Level I: Novice Mid to Novice High Proficiency
Level II: Novice High to Intermediate Low Proficiency
Level III: Intermediate Low to Intermediate Mid Proficiency
Level IV: Intermediate Mid to Intermediate High Proficiency
Exam Time Limit: 3 hours
Exam Format: The exam has four sections – Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
- The reading and listening sections contain approximately 30 multiple-choice questions each.
- The speaking and writing sections contain three prompts each.
- The exam typically takes 2 – 3 hours to complete. Take a sample test to familiarize yourself with the layout of the test and the types of prompts that you can expect.
Exam Content Information:
Please see the TEKS for LOTE for Level I through Level IV. The exam is aligned to the ACTFL proficiency guidelines, which also align to the LOTE course expectations in the TEKS. Students may prepare by reviewing any resources aligned to the standards for interpretive communication and presentational communication.
The exam is computer-adaptive, meaning that the difficulty level of each question automatically adapts to each student's level, up or down, as the student progresses through the exam. This allows students to demonstrate their actual proficiency level in the language. It is also advisable to read the Benchmark Information and Rubric Guide above if you want information about the skills you need to demonstrate to achieve a certain proficiency level.
Languages other than English
- American Sign Language I
- American Sign Language II
- Cabo Verdean
- Chin (Hakha)
- Chinese (Simplified or Traditional)
- Filipino (Tagalog)
- Hawaiian (‘Ōlelo Hawai’i)
- Portuguese (Brazilian)
- Somali Maay Maay
- Somali Maxaa