Weather Related Guidelines
Inclement and/or dangerous weather occurs routinely in the North Texas area and, as such, Plano ISD has plans and procedures in place to promote student and staff safety. Parents, students and staff members should be aware of the following information concerning the district’s weather related guidelines.
Safety and Security Services monitors weather conditions that may impact the PISD area. Members of the department rely on publicly available weather information sources, including internet sources, National Weather Service alerts, and local media outlets, and also stay in contact with local city emergency management departments during periods of anticipated volatile weather. All campuses have weather alert radios and have access to internet-based weather sources. It is strongly recommended that individual campuses monitor weather conditions in their area.
In the event of anticipated or imminent severe weather that may impact school operations, Safety and Security Services will notify campuses and district leadership. Safety and Security Services has the ability to communicate with campuses, school buses and other facilities via a district-wide emergency radio system if necessary. In the event of a weather emergency affecting all or portions of the District, these radios will be used to provide information to campuses regarding stopping dismissal of students, diverting school buses, and other emergency actions. The decision to alter school schedules or to cancel school must be approved by the Superintendent or designee. The decision to stop or delay dismissal district-wide is normally approved by the Assistant Superintendent for Student Engagement & District Services, but individual campuses can stop or delay dismissal in an emergency when necessary for student safety.
Communicating Emergency Closures of Schools and Offices—The superintendent of schools may close schools and offices due to severe weather or emergencies (e.g., icy roads, power outages, flooding, etc.). In that case, Plano ISD announces such closings through various communication channels:
- The Plano ISD website (www.pisd.edu): Weather-related closures and updates will be posted in real time on the Plano ISD home page.
- The Plano ISD Mobile App (www.pisd.edu/mobileapp): Download the mobile app and log in to receive specific messages related to your school. However, weather closures will be sent to all app users, even if you are not logged in to the system.
- School Messenger (e-mail and telephone messages): The district will provide updated information as needed to all parent and emergency contact telephone numbers and email addresses in the system.
- Social media – Facebook (www.facebook.com/PlanoISD) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/Plano_Schools): Weather-related closures will be posted immediately to Plano ISD’s Facebook and Twitter pages. You do not have to sign up for Facebook or Twitter to view these pages; however, followers will receive instant updates in their newsfeeds.
- Local news media: Plano ISD will make information available to local television and radio stations and will enlist their assistance in communicating with our audiences.
Cancellation of After-School or Evening Events
The decision to cancel after-school or evening activities due to inclement weather in the forecast is ordinarily made at the campus level or by the School Leadership and Innovation Department.