What is Screencasting?
Record your computer screen, add audio narration, and/or your webcam. Create instructional how-to videos, lessons, sub plans, etc. Students can do this, too! There are several tools that do this. Below are our favorites.
WeVideo - screen recording video on WeVideo Academy. Our WeVideo page is linked to the left.
Screencastify - (below)
Flip (previously Flipgrid) - Flip screen recording. Our Flipgrid page is linked to the left.
Loom - Loom website. Loom Pro FREE for teachers!
- What is your why? Establish your purpose for creating videos.
- Limit your videos to under 5 minutes. Need it to be longer? Consider breaking it up by topic.
- Personalize it by including your webcam image in one of the corners of the screen.
- Test your video on multiple devices, if possible. Test your access in an incognito window.
- Get comfortable with one tool. Don't feel like you need to be the expert on them all. Teaching is overwhelming enough as it is.
- Make sure your videos are accessible. Viewers have various abilities and your videos need to have captioning. Pro Tip: Use the built-in Google Slides captioning!
- Think about the best way to make your video available to your audience. Let it live online (no need to download), set appropriate privacy/access settings, and send the link!
- Tips on how to look good on a webcam :)
Use the Screencastify Chrome Extension to record your screen.
- FREE - Click Here to add Chrome Extension
- Runs on Chrome for Windows, Mac, Linux and ChromeOS
- Record Desktop, Browser Tabs, & Webcam
- 5-minute video limit
- Unlimited # of videos over lifetime
- Pause/resume playback
- Drawing Tools: Focus, Drawing, Highlight, Mouse effects
- Saves to Google Drive
- Share in Google Drive, Google Classroom, YouTube
- Shortcut keys! https://help.screencastify.com/article/158-master-keyboard-shortcuts
- Educator Resources from Screencastify
- 50 Ways to Use Screencastify in the Classroom
- 25 Tips to Increase Student and Family Participation in the Classroom
Become a Screencastify Certified Educator!
Wherever you are on your Screencastify learning journey, there is a certification for you!
Visit this Screencastify Course page to find quick, informative, and engaging certification courses. Earning a certificate shows mastery and gives you the skills to improve your practice and help your colleagues and students. Good luck!
Please share what you learned on Twitter and mention @pisdtech so we can congratulate you!
Screencasting Like a Boss (TCEA 2020 presentation) - https://www.smore.com/xs17a-screencasting-like-a-boss
Screencastify/YouTube/Edpuzzle - video creation workflow https://create.piktochart.com/output/37565462-video-creation-workflow
Instructional how-tos, ideas, rubrics, apps, and more: http://www.schrockguide.net/screencasting.html