Breaking News - Unlimited Time Recording on Screencastify!
We have set up a special coupon code that unlocks Unlimited access through April 30. Please feel free to share the below instructions with your teachers.
To activate Screencastify Unlimited access, follow these instructions:
- Visit this page and click "Redeem coupon" (under the Next Billing Date)
- Enter code CAST_COVID
- Click "Activate License" (no credit card required). Ignore the Next Billing Date - that will be incorrect
Here's a quick video that demonstrates these steps.
We will monitor the situation closely and will extend access as needed.
What is Screencasting?
Record your computer screen, add audio narration, and/or your webcam. Create instructional how-to videos, lessons, sub plans, etc. Students can do this, too!
There are several tools that do this. WeVideo and Screencastify (below) are our favorites.
Screencastify Chrome Extension
Use the Screencastify Chrome Extension to record your screen. You can even open ImageMate to record a demonstration using your Elmo.
Time limit: 5 minutes
1. Sign in to your PISD Chrome account or Chromebook.
2. Search the Chrome Web Store for the Screencastify extension or click this link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/screencastify-screen-vide/mmeijimgabbpbgpdklnllpncmdofkcpn?hl=en. Click "Add to Chrome".
3. Once added to Chrome, Screencastify appears as a filmstrip on your Extension bar. The first time you open the extension it will ask you some initial set-up questions. After you've answered those questions, click on the filmstrip extension again to begin.
4. Select whether you would like to record the "Tab", "Desktop", or "Cam".
Tab: Records the website tab that you currently have open.
You will open the tab you want to record, click on the Screencastify extension, check that the microphone is picking up audio (see microphone image below), and then click the orange Record button. It will countdown "3-2-1" before recording. Next, read #5 below.
Desktop: Records what you choose to record on your desktop; e.g. website, document, desktop itself.
You will bring up on your screen what you'd like to record, click on the Screencastify extension, check that the microphone is picking up audio (see microphone image below), then click the orange Record button. A message will appear asking what you'd like to record so click the screen to record (website, document, desktop) and it will count down "3-2-1" before recording. Next, read #5 below.
Cam: Uses your Webcam to record you or whatever object/person your webcam is facing.
Click on the Screencastify extension, check that the microphone is picking up audio (see microphone image below), and then click the orange Record button. It will countdown "3-2-1" before recording. Next, read #5 below.
Microphone - you know your computer is picking up your audio when the green light next to the microphone on the screen moves up and down as you talk:
5. While recording, you will see a menu of options on the bottom of your screen. This is where you can Pause or Stop the recording, among other options. When finished, click the Stop button. It will bring up a preview of your recording and you can either save, share, or delete the video. You can also choose to focus on a specific part of the screen and make the mouse click have a circle around it.
Screencastify menu while recording
Information on how to caption videos using Screencastify and YouTube: https://www.screencastify.com/blog/captioning-accessibility-literacy/
Using Google Slides for Captioning
Instructions on how to annotate the screen while recording are on the Screencastify website: https://help.screencastify.com/article/143-annotate-a-recording
Screencasting Tips & Resources
Screencasting Like a Boss (TCEA 2020 presentation) - https://www.smore.com/xs17a-screencasting-like-a-boss
Screencastify/YouTube/Edpuzzle - video creation workflow https://create.piktochart.com/output/37565462-video-creation-workflow
Instructional how-tos, ideas, rubrics, apps, and more: http://www.schrockguide.net/screencasting.html