Plano ISD staff and students have access to Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) on classroom PCs, in addition to Office 365 online.
Update (12/2021): Office 2019 is now available for install via App Depot. Improvements from Office 2016 include more accessibility features (eg. text-to-speech in Word) and more. See the section titled "New in Office 2019" for more: Microsoft Office 2019 Now Available – Comparing 2019 vs 2016 vs 365, New Features in Access & Excel
PISD staff and students can log into Office 365 from any device to access the following programs using their PISD email and network password.
- Add the Office 365 Suite App in Webdesk.
- When you launch the app, you will be logged into your Office 365 dashboard.
What is Office 365?
Office 365 lets you access the following Microsoft tools online rather than downloading the programs to your desktop.
Learn more on the MS Office 365 support page.
- Outlook (email)
- OneDrive (file management)
- Word (word processing)
- Excel (spreadsheets)
- PowerPoint (slideshows)
- OneNote (digital portfolio)
- SharePoint (collaborate online)
- Teams (collaborative communication platform)
- Class Notebook (set up OneNote for your class - class notebooks, student notebooks)
- Sway (presentations, AKA PowerPoint on steroids)
- Forms (survey creator)
- Whiteboard - app & webpage (less features than app)
- and more!
Our blog post: Office 365 in Education: Explore the Possibilities!
Create a New Document
How to Create a New Document
1. Open Webdesk.pisd.edu.
2. Launch the Office 365 app.
If you don't see it, you can add it by clicking the plus sign on the top left of your screen and searching
3. Click on the Microsoft app that you want to launch. For example, click on Word.
4. Word Online opens up. Click the Plus sign to create a new document or use the existing templates. Name your new Word document, enter content, edit, and more, using the Word Online features.
- Turn off the Simplified Ribbon so that you can see all the tools available to you.
- Notice the Dictate tool! It captures what you say into text.
- Commenting and sharing - You can collaborate with a partner/group/teacher in Word online, similar to how you do in a Google Doc. Click the Comments button on the top right, click New, and start typing a name. The name will appear from the directory of students/teachers. Then you can enter your comment. You will be prompted to share the document with that person if you haven't already. He/She will receive a notification in their Office 365 account that they were mentioned in a document.
Edit an Existing Doc from H Drive
How to Edit an Existing Document from your school H Drive
1. Open Webdesk.pisd.edu.
2. Click on "My Files" on the bottom of the screen. It will then open in a separate tab.
3. Click on "School Network" on the left. You will then see your H drive files.
4. Open any Microsoft document (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) to edit it in the online version. All edits will be automatically saved in your school H drive!
Optional: Download Office 365 Apps on Home Computer
Download Office Apps on your home computer for free
Plano ISD staff and students may download Office apps for free on up to five devices.
1. On your home computer, sign into Webdesk and launch the Office 365 app.
2. Click the Install Office button on the right. Then download Office 2016.
The program will take several minutes to download.
Microsoft Learn Educator Center
What: Learn with free courses and resources. Acquire new skills to apply to your classroom, earn professional development hours, and badges.
Where: Go to the Microsoft Educator Center and log in with your PISD email to join this comprehensive learning opportunity.