Digital Citizenship Week is October 19-23!
"Use the schedule below to engage students, faculty, families, and the school community around the question, How am I being a digital citizen today? Each "dig cit" day covers a different topic from Common Sense's Digital Citizenship Curriculum. Make a copy of this template and customize for your class or school!"
What is Digital Citizenship?
"Being a digital citizen is all about taking ownership of our actions and using technology responsibly and respectfully." - Common Sense Media
In Plano ISD, we want you to be an empowered digital citizen while feeling safe! Here are our favorite resources to support you in that. As always, you can reach out to the Digital Learning Team (DLT) to help plan lessons or staff training on digital citizenship.
Courses & Lessons
- Nearpod Digital Citizenship Lessons - sign into Nearpod from Webdesk to view the lessons. (Visit our Hotspot Nearpod page for help logging in).
- Be Internet Awesome - "Helping students be safe, confident explorers of the online world." Take the Be Internet Awesome Pledge!
- Digital Citizenship and Safety Course by Google for Education - for teachers and their students
- Common Sense Media's K-12 Dig Cit Curriculum
- Rethinking Digital Citizenship - Keynote by ISTE's CEO. Dig Cit is using technology to make your community better.
- Common Sense Media's Digital Citizenship YouTube playlists: Grade K-2, Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12
Student discussion ideas
- You don't have to be a dig cit expert. Use images to get students talking: https://drkmattson.com/2018/02/26/you-dont-have-to-be-a-digcit-expert-use-images-to-get-students-talking/
- Journal topics
- Debate topics
- Launches for research and inquiry projects
Stages of Growth into a Dig Cit State of Mind - Teachers, where are you on your dig cit journey?
Blog: Dig Cit in Remote Learning - 3 Tips for Teaching Dig Cit Remotely
Tons of Resources for Educators