Your 2018-2019 GoGuardian classes will be archived on June 27. Upon your return in the fall, you will have the option to accept/decline pre-rostered GoGuardian classes!
GoGuardian - Chromebook Management
- GoGuardian is a Chromebook management tool for PISD teachers to use with the Chromebooks in their classrooms.
- For a quick overview of this awesome tool, go to https://www.goguardian.com/teacher.html and click on "Watch the Demo".
- Create a culture of positive norms with this tool.
- Try not to look at it as just a punitive tool.
- Redirect students from distractions.
- Provide concrete guidance.
- Provide positive reinforcement.
- Encourage positive digital citizenship.
Who is it for?
- Plano ISD teachers to use with students on Chromebooks in the classroom.
How do I create a class and add students?
Use the rostering option in GoGuardian that pulls your student data from TEAMS (Pinnacle). (Good option if you don't have several tabs per class period in Pinnacle. Even if you merge tabs, GoGuardian is ultimately pulling data from TEAMS).
Create a Classroom Manually (Good option for special populations or if you're not a classroom teacher or if you have multiple tabs within your Pinnacle classroom.)
1) Create a Classroom - click the green "Add Classroom" button on the top right of the screen.
- Google Classroom users: If you are using Google Classroom, you can select "Add Google Classroom" at the bottom of this window and select your classrooms. You can then choose to schedule your class time or skip it for now. If your students are not in Google Classroom yet, you can still add the class here and then click "Sync Students from Google" after the students have been added in Google Classroom. Skip step 2 below.
- Non-Google Classroom users: If you are not using Google Classroom, then fill out the classroom information (name, subject, etc.) and click Add Classroom to save it.
- You can choose to schedule your class time or skip it for now.
- It is not necessary to add a "Scene" yet (you can do this later).
2) Click "Add Students" - after you have created your classroom, the easiest way to add your students is to give them an enroll code to join. (Google Classroom users will skip this step).
How do I schedule sessions?
Important: Scheduling your class time is very important for secondary teachers and elementary teachers who departmentalize. Be sure NOT to schedule your class session for all day. Set each class session for its appropriate time. For example, you will schedule your first period session for 9-9:50 a.m. That way, you're not encroaching on the next class period teacher's session. See Scheduling Class Times page on the left for a closer look.
Tell me more about scenes.
What is a scene? (links to GG support page)
"Scenes are designed to give teachers added control over students' web activity during classroom sessions." The link above explains what each feature of the scene does. Please read that first.
How to create a scene (links to GG support page)
The link above explains the quick and easy way to create a scene.
Important to note about scenes (the PISD way!)
Webdesk. If you create a filter in block mode, be sure to add the following Webdesk URL as an exception for students:
2. Check the Student URL. Some websites are not the same for teachers as they are for students. For example, if you create a filter in block mode and need to add Dreambox as an exception, you will enter the URL that students use, which is play.dreambox.com.
3. Example. Below is an example of a Math scene in which a filter with block mode is turned on and the exceptions are:
- Webdesk - https://launchpad.classlink.com
- Google Docs (because the teacher uses Google Classroom) - added using the Quick List. Click on the Google Docs button, which allows 24 sites that Google Docs needs in order to operate.
- Dreambox - play.dreambox.com
The teacher also included all three of these sites in the Auto Open Tabs section so that it will automatically open for students when the session starts.
4. Remember to click the "Update Scene" button to save your settings.
Sample Math Scene
Sample Nearpod Scene
How can I get trained?
- Online Training - GoGuardian has a great online training program that you can sign into and follow self-paced, short 'n sweet how-to videos on your own. https://training.goguardian.com/ Click "Getting Started with GoGuardian Teacher" and then "Enroll in Course for Free" button. Create an account and you can then begin the training.
- Face-to-Face Training
- Schedule a training with the Digital Learning Team to come to your campus! We can work with your principal to schedule a day for us to work with your team during planning periods, before/after school, or whenever is convenient for you. We are also happy to work with you one-on-one.
How do I learn more?
View the how-to training videos on the GoGuardian training website. Create an account, enroll in the course, and begin! You can start from the beginning or go directly to a video topic that interests you.
As always, please contact the Digital Learning Team for help! (Clara, Nancy, Fern, and Leah)
Teachers: How to use GoGuardian Effectively
Read our Plano ISD Tech-tastic blog post below for ideas on how to get the most out of this Chromebook management tool.
Owners Can: View classroom sessions, enroll & archive students, send comments, start/end sessions, change classroom schedule, edit the classroom name/description/color, archive the classroom
Teachers Can: View classroom sessions, enroll & archive students, send comments, start/end sessions
Helpers Can: View classrooms