Google Drive: What Happens When Someone Leaves the District?
For employees separating from the District, access to Plano ISD Google Drive files and/or folders will be removed immediately upon the completion of their last scheduled work day. To ensure that you keep any files that you need when your colleague leaves the district, you’ll either need to:
- Make a copy of the document(s) so that you are now the owner and can share it with the other colleagues who need it. OR
- Download and reupload those files so that you become the owner. OR
- Ask the person leaving to transfer ownership to you through their sharing settings (only the owner can do this).
Watch this video explaining how to transfer ownership: https://youtu.be/TJK08BRC5-g
How to Export Your Google Drive
If you are leaving the district (graduating, retiring, etc.) and would like to export or transfer the documents from your PISD Google Drive account to take with you, here are your options:
- Download all of your Google Drive files folders to your computer. This is a good option for someone who does not have very many folders/files in Drive. Remember to also download files/folders from "Shared with me" if you want them. OR
- Use the free export service Google Takeout (Staff only). This method does not include items that have been shared with you (in "Shared with me"). You will need to manually download those items if you want them.
Be sure to notify people who you’ve shared documents with to complete one of the steps in the section above.
Contact us for help: Digital Learning Specialists
End-of-Year Clean-up Tips
📂 Move Classroom Folders
- Create a sub-folder for this year’s assignments. Move from Classroom Folder to subfolder
- Name it “used, timed out, Zachive, etc to place it at the bottom of list, include date
- *** DO NOT DELETE master “CLASSROOM” folder.
🤝 “Shared with Me” Clean-up
- Remove files/folders from Shared with Me tab on left
- Removes it from your view, the shared folders will still be in owner’s drive.
- Google Drive - “P” is for Preview! No need to open file if you are only lurking
- Google Drive - Drop down from Drive tab - Click and drag to quickly move files into folders, use dropdown on left side Drive tab